Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vehicle Loop Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemelec

I Just Updated my Car Detector project, Should anyone here need one.

**broken link removed**

Have Fun...Gary

Just a question, but how do you make the coil? I know it says it has to be 4 - 6 feet in Diamater, and about 3 - 4 turns, but how do you make that? Do you get something that is 4 - 6 feet in diamater, and just wrap wire around it?
Thanks.

It Doesn't have to be That Size, But for detecting a Car, that works good.

One Way to wind the coil: just stick some wooden sticks in the ground, with a spacing as needed, than wind the coil around them to make that diameter of a coil. When finished, tape the wires to hold them together and remove the sticks.

Or if you want to try a smaller coil, wind it loosly around a Garbage can, than tape the wires together so thay stay as a coil and remove it from the can.
For a Smaller Coil like this, You might need 10 to 15 turns.

Hope this helps.....Gary

Hydrogenboy said:
Just a question, but how do you make the coil? I know it says it has to be 4 - 6 feet in Diamater, and about 3 - 4 turns, but how do you make that? Do you get something that is 4 - 6 feet in diamater, and just wrap wire around it?
Thanks.

This is interesting. I always wondered about those marks on the asphalt road at the crossings. Would be very interesting to build similar systems.

Thanks for this project.

Definitely insulated! Preferably placed inside plastic conduit or something similar if you intend to bury it in the ground.

kchriste said:
Definitely insulated! Preferably placed inside plastic conduit or something similar if you intend to bury it in the ground.

Any Vinal Covered wire is OK, Just buried as is.
(Like a 16 or 18 gauge Solid house wire is good.)

wmerrin said:
How are the magnetometer sensors used in some vehicle detector systems constructed? An example is:
https://www.smarthome.com/7313.html
What goes in the PVC pipe?

Wally

Forget the PVC Pipe. It is NOT NEEDED!

Magnetometers use a "Hall Effect" Device to detect Magnetic Field Changes.

This is considerably Different from my system and not very easy to build for the average person.

Coil loop inductance

What inductance are we looking at on this coil? I am making a mini version of this. Like a few inches, somehow I cannot get it to work.

A better way to make really BIG buried coils is to get some multi strand data cable, and just connect all the conductors in series.
That way, the underground loop is already waterproof, only the ends where all the connections are, needs to be protected.
And that can be above ground, or even indoors.

Why stop there?

A smaller version that could use inductance changes to detect a person would make for a really useful way of controlling garden path lights.. or even maybe dance floors...think Michael Jacksons 'Bille Jean' video.

The vehicle detector may work but the output of the LM393 is not connected to the LED correctly. The whole circuit could be done much simpler with a 74c14. A 4 turn coil 6feet diameter will be about 60uH not 18 uH as you suggest. Using 60uH coil and 470n capacitor produces resonance at approx 30kHz.

Last edited:
Lm392n

Hi,
I am fairly new to the electronics projects scene, this project looks good, I am finding it a little difficult to find a LM393, but have found a LM392N which seems to have the same pin outputs. Does anyone know whether I could use this instead of the 393, or a good electronics supplier in the UK?

Thanks!

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back