Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Varying Beta (hfe) definitions?.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEEDA

Hello, I am trying to make sense of some data I just read in a text-book regarding transistor gain (hfe).

From what I've always understood, hfe = ΔIc / ΔIb . Correct?

In this text-book, it states that hfe can be measured as a ratio of input current (Ib) to output current (Ie). As I thought about it, it made sense but surely BOTH can't be correct? So, is hfe the measured ratio of collector current to base current (Ic / Ib) or Emitter current to base current (Ie / Ib)?

Think about it a bit. Ie=Ib+Ic right. You wouldn't want hfe to be defined as Hfe = Ib/(ib+Ic) would you? That's way to messy. If Hfe = current gain, then Hfe = Ic/Ib makes sense. hfe = ΔIc / ΔIb makes sense too. Current is multiplied. Hfe isn't a well controlled parameter.

There's ac current gain, particularly high frequency value "hfe". Then there's low frequency/dc value "hFE".
hFE = Ic/Ib.
hfe = ic/ib.
"Ic, Ib" are the dc current values, & "ic, ib" are the sc current values.
As frequency increases, more base current, ac part, is needed for a specific value of ac collector current. Eventually, at some particular value of frequency, ic/ib = hfe takes a value of unity. This frequency is called the "transition frequency", aka "ft".

Last edited:
Thank you BOTH for your replies! I think understand the difference between ac gain and dc gain but what's a bit confusing is HOW these are written.

I've seen dc gain written as hfe, HFE, hFE, Hfe
AND ac gain written as hfe, HFE, Hfe, hFE

I was taught that upper case is used to denote large signal dc (eg: VIN) and lower case for small signal dc (eg: vin)

I THOUGHT that h (h-parameter) was always written in lower case. The subscript written in lower case (fe - for ac / large signal) and upper case (FE - for dc/small signal)!

So which is the correct way to write gain for large signal / small signal, dc and ac???

I don't mean to nit-pick.... I just want to "get it" right.

thanks.

Yes h parameters are always written in lower case and DC in upper case. When you are in doubt consult datasheet and look at other specifications for which hfe is given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back