Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Valve guitar amp fault -need help on one aspect of the overall circuit (specifically involving FETs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankMcSpank

I've a valve guitar amp that's crackling (Blackstar HT-5R - common fault apparently as outlined here -

)

There's one part of the circuit I'd like to understand (but it's a puzzle to me at least), here's the part...

(PA in = Power Amp input signal (in other words the input signal from the pre-amp)

FYI the overall (full) schematic is here - https://vianegativa.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/blackstar-ht5-schematic.pdf

HT_PS
is 450V DC, but I'd like to know what typical DC voltages I could expect to see on the gate, drain & source of those FETs (TR2 & TR3)

In fact I have no idea what's going on with the circuit connected to the sources of TR2 & TR3 ....I'd imagine that the gate of TR3 sees a replica of the TR2 gate signal ...but how that's acheived is beond me...any light anyone can shed would be most welcome!

Last edited:
This circuit is a pretty classic differential long-tailed pair with a constant-current source. TR3, the non-inverting input, is biased to a constant 0V for a single-ended input with a differential output. The circuit with TR4 is set to draw a constant current of roughly 7mA through the MOSFET pair (~3.5mA per MOSFET).

For PAin = 0V, I believe you would probably expect to see about -3V at the sources, about +370V at the drains, and about 0V at the gates.

Last edited:
Just for reference, here is a simplified view of what is effectively going on, with the differential probes marking the differential output of the amplifier stage. As an additional note on the circuit above, D21 is a protection diode that prevents the voltage at TR4 from exceeding the maximum rated VCE for that transistor.

mosfet LTP.png

That's very kind of you - many thanks.

R38 /39 are overheating badly (apparently this is a known problem & happens due to voltage leakage from the drain to the gate - the solution is apprently to drill a hole in the pcb between the gate & the source (it's all in the video at the top of my opening post, but at least now I know the correct approximate DC voltages & (what to expect AC signal wise) & can progress acordingly.

Thanks once again!

Edit: Problem now fixed...that youtube video was bang on the money - leakage due to a bad pcb between the FET drain & gate ...drill a hole in between those pins - problem gone!

i would have scraped the PCB and painted it with clear enamel. if it was carbonization of the PCB from heat, it usually starts on the surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back