Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using TIP41C to turn on and turn off Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimaSolo

I'm new to motors so here's my question:

Power supply:
12V 4.5A Battery
Motor current = 2.5A
Transistor : TIP41C

Here's the circuit diagram:

**broken link removed**

I just want to test if the 12V supply can turn on the TIP41C transistor. When I turn on the switch, the transistor gets REALLY hot (hurt my finger when I touched it ), and the motor turns VERY slowly.

Is the problem here because the base current is not enough to fully turn on the TIP41C transistor and thus the motor is not getting enough current to spin at it's maximum speed?

And is that amount of heat normal? When it became hot I immediately turned off the power.

Transistor Datasheet:
www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/tip41c-pdf.17194/

yes it seems your base resistor is to high. how did you come up with 1K ohms? Andy

You also need a diode across the transistor's emmiter and collector (prevents spikes from the EM field destroying the transistor)...

Hi guys. Thanks for replying :)

Well I was just testing out the circuit and the smallest resistor I had was 1k. I did some calculations, and apparently I need a base resistor of around 50 ohms and I plan to get that. Thanks for the advice on the diode too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back