Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a coin cell to power fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nando6996

Hopefully I can get some help, I need to power three 3volt fans with an led using a 1.5 volt coin cell. I have no idea what i need to accomplish this

What fans. More information. Part number or how much current the fans use.
What coin cell. More information. Coin cells hold very little power. They might not last very long.
What LED. More information.
How long should the battery last?
It looks like you need to "boost" the 1.5 volts up to 3.0 volts.

Last edited:
The CR2032 is a 3V 220mAh coin cell which might manage. The bigger CR2477 has a capacity of 1000mAh.

Mike.

A LED doing what...?

Again - W.h.a.t F.a.n.s ???

Manufacturer
Part number
Voltage rating
Current rating
Website
Datasheet

anything

ak

Hello everyone, the fans are mighty mini fans by sunon. The led is just to light up (blue) will 1.5 v power 3 fans? How do i boost power only using 1 small coin cell that is only 5mm

Basically you don't, as you have very little power available to play with - by far the easiest option would be simply to use two cells in series to power the fans. This will have the added bonus of powering them for considerably more than twice as long (as there's no waste), which probably still won't be very long anyway.

Try answering some of the questions asked and we may be able to answer yours.

Mike.

No. A Joule thief will not work.

One More TIME -

The Sunon data sheet has 36 (!!!) different part numbers on it, spanning 9 different sets of operating conditions and sizes. The required current ranges from 36 mA to 97 mA.

Which
One
Is
Yours?

ak

What you want to do cannot be done.

A lithium coin cell in your size has a standard discharge current of 0.1 mA. At a minimum you need *360 times* more than that. Even if you could extract 100% of the energy (30 mAh) at a current you can use (and you can not), it would run the smallest fan for less than one hour.

The only silver-oxide cell in your size range is a pair of SR68's, with a max capacity of 26 mAh. IF you could extract 100% of the that energy (and you can not), it would run the smallest fan for less than 45 minutes. In the real world that reduces to approx. 15 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

ak

I have rename this thread from the meaningless Help!!! to something which describes the area of discussion.

JimB

So, to summarise, you can't do what you want :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back