Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 74HC595 shift registers to drive 12 LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

I am planning on using 2 x 74HC595s to drive the columns on a 12 x 12 matrix.

My question is how do I tell the 595s that there are 12 cycles to go through and then start again?

I can see how they are daisychained but from the sheet I don't get how to reset the count from any particular point, in my case after the 12th column has gone high.

I am assuming that I connect one of the outputs of the second 595 to something on the first but which output and where to. The sheet mentions that there are 2 clocks running and that if connected together that one will always be ahead of the other so would I use the 4th output on the second 595 to start the process anew or the 3rd one if one clock is ahead? Baffled.

Al

hi Al,
Its a shift register, so you just issue a further 12 clocks for the next string, the old output bits in the S/R just get pushed along off the end so to speak.

Eric

EDIT:
This pdf may help

Last edited:
Since the column driver needs only twelve states which recycle after the 12 state, I might use 12 flip-flops wired as a ring counter The 12 flip-flops are easy to decode, but you need lots of extra logic to steer the flops into the correct starting value (set one, clear the other 11).

You could also a four bit binary counter wired to count 0 to 11 (12 states out of a possible 16). The binary counter could be decoded with a 4 line to sixteen output decoder or 2ea 3 line to eight output decoders.

You could also use six flip-flops wired as a Johnson counter (12 states out of a possible 64). To decode this, you would use 12 XOR gates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back