Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 741 op amp and LDR to monitor light level

Status
Not open for further replies.

biomedhed

Hello all,

I'm a PhD Physiology student from Manchester University and have an idea for measuring tissue density using a laser, a light dependent resistor and a 741 op amp.

It is probably worth saying that although I am fairly familiar with electronics, I am by no means competent....and basically I would be very greatful to know your thoughts on this idea and whether it would work....

In essense i intend to shine a 1mW laser through very thin sections of tissue on to an LDR. If tissue density decreases, more light will get through and therefore the LDR resistance will decrease. I want to amplify this change in resistance/current somehow and and am thinking of a 741 op amp.

The output of the 741 would then go into a computer via Powerlab which would record the fluctuating output.

The laser and LDR will remain in a fixed position and the tissue would be moved within the beam. Any change in tissue density within the sample should I guess result in a fluctuating current input into the 741

I have a few questions:

1)Would an LDR between the +ve rail and 741 input work?
2)Will the output from the 741 directly correlate with the input?
3)Will this work?!

Sorry if I sound a bit thick, cheers in advance.

Please use a good op-amp and not the 741, which dates back to 1968. There have been improvements in 41 years.......

LDRs are quite sensitive, and you might not even need an op-amp at all.

If the change in light is very small, you can amplify it with an op-amp, but you need to know what the zero point is. In the simplest form you feed the inverting input of the op-amp from a potentiometer and manually adjust the zero point.

You need some negative feedback on an op-amp or it becomes a switch with either zero or maximum output.

I suspect LDRs are fairly temperature dependent.

For best sensitivity, you need to turn the laser on and off (an optical chopper can do that) and you have a phase sensitive detector to give the output signal.

Please use a good op-amp and not the 741, which dates back to 1968. There have been improvements in 41 years.......

LDRs are quite sensitive, and you might not even need an op-amp at all.

If the change in light is very small, you can amplify it with an op-amp, but you need to know what the zero point is. In the simplest form you feed the inverting input of the op-amp from a potentiometer and manually adjust the zero point.

You need some negative feedback on an op-amp or it becomes a switch with either zero or maximum output.

I suspect LDRs are fairly temperature dependent.

For best sensitivity, you need to turn the laser on and off (an optical chopper can do that) and you have a phase sensitive detector to give the output signal.

Many thanks for your reply - I will definitely get a more modern chip!

Regarding the zero point, I think Powerlab will sort that out as we can set a base line on the program plus the experiments will always be carried out in same conditions i.e. in the dark - probably.

So far I have got to the stage below - i am quite positive I need some more components in there but really havent a clue what - any suggestions?

R3 is supposed to be the LDR (wasnt a symbol for it on the program)

Cheers

Attachments

• laser.jpg
    laser.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,020
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back