Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 2 Pots for inputs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snokol

Is it possible to use rotary pot at a set speed / resistance while using another pot like a finger throttle for acceleration / DE-acceleration within those parameters i.e +20% so on, so that finger throttles maximum is always restricted to whatever the +% is on tachometer at the time ?

Im assuming the following means I could do that ?

Special Function Inputs/Outputs

2 Analog inputs. Used as
Tachometer input for closed loop speed
control
Potentiometer input for position (servo mode )

So in other words using the 2 two pot together allows me a lot more range at lower resistance than otherwise possible with just a rotary pot because it allows you increase between each +% on the tachometer until it reaches 100% . ( A lot like those controls you see on mobility scooter )

snok

Special Function Inputs/Outputs

2 Analog inputs. Used as
Tachometer input for closed loop speed
control
Potentiometer input for position (servo mode )
What is this from?

Im assuming the following means I could do that ?
No, One input is for position feedback only if you are using your motor like a servo. It is not a speed control.

Last edited:
No, One input is for position feedback only if you are using your motor like a servo. It is not a speed control.

Im guessing those mobility scooters with those controls must be using some unique controller that allows for 2 Potentiometer inputs then as the other types of controllers I looked at only have 1 input too

I was trying to find out by looking at some used for mobility scooters and noticed it mention 2 types of speed control : 5k pot from the looks of things and 25k micro speed ??

**broken link removed**

what is micro speed ???

snok

I was trying to find out by looking at some used for mobility scooters and noticed it mention 2 types of speed control : 5k pot from the looks of things and 25k micro speed ??

see here
Link not working.

Since the two pots (or other position transducer) in the joystick on mobility scooters controls the speed, direction and turning, I'm guessing that their motor controllers likely have a microcontroller at the front end.

It would take the X and Y values from the joystick, and then drive the two motors to move the scooter in the intended direction. This will include changing the polarity of the motors as needed to go backwards.

Since the two pots (or other position transducer) in the joystick on mobility scooters controls the speed, direction and turning, I'm guessing that their motor controllers likely have a microcontroller at the front end.

It would take the X and Y values from the joystick, and then drive the two motors to move the scooter in the intended direction. This will include changing the polarity of the motors as needed to go backwards.

The controller I looked at looked at, looked like one of these and is used with this

if you noticed some of those ( esp junior ) have 2 outputs per channel and supports brushed - which makes sense as nearly all scooters use lead not lithium like the sort you usually see for RC motors.

So i think your right , though MBs dont control direction via controller ( unless you mean forward , reverse ? )

snok

Last edited:
The controller I looked at looked at, looked like one of these and is used with this

if you noticed some of those ( esp junior ) have 2 outputs per channel and supports brushed - which makes sense as nearly all scooters use lead not lithium like the sort you usually see for RC motors.

So i think your right , though MBs dont control direction via controller ( unless you mean forward , reverse ? )

**broken link removed** is that link again.

snok
Maybe thay run the big motors as servos.
Joystick to servo controller to motor controller in posishoin mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back