Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 12v from car to power PIC LCD application

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGeek

I am planning a LCD display application for my car using a PIC. I want it to be powered by the car's 12v system, and Im worried about electrical noise, surges, etc.
I was going to use a LM7805 voltage regulator and Capacitor to drop it to 5v. Is there anything else I should use to prevent noise or protect the circuit in other ways? Any added components have to be pretty small (TO-92 or similar size).
Im a bit of a newbie so specific part numbers would be helpful. Thanks.

There are lots of things you could add, including extra filtering, in-line chokes, over-volt zeners - but a 7805 will most probably be perfectly OK on it's own. As you are struggling for space, I would try it and see! - a car can be a very noisey electrical environment, with potentially large voltage spikes - it's a good idea to try and prevent these, even though they may not actually occur.

Yeah- use 2 capacitors, not 1. 0.33uF on input, 0.1uF on output. That's from the LM7805 spec sheet I just pulled from Digikey, if you do not use them the device may oscillate, this is very bad. Be sure you have a large voltage rating on the input cap, 30V is great. I believe larger caps is fine. Don't try to fix a problem that doesn't exist by putting in huge caps, though.

Also, be sure to add a small ceramic or tantalum capacitor from the Vdd to Vss PIC pins, physically located very close to the PIC itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back