Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Used wrong polarity DC power suply on Keyboard. Do I have something to worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonah

Hello.
I accidently used wrong power supply on my Yamaha keyboard - it has the same voltage (12V) but reversed polarity. They Keyboard did not turned on. After I changed to the correct power suply unit and did a quick check it seems to work but I wonder if the damage can be more subtle and should I do some very thorough testings? Or if there were no safety circuts to prevent damage from potential reverse polarity the keyboard would not turn on at all after the accident?

It's highly unlikely that you would have done any subtle damage. In most cases the device has some protection to prevent damage, as Yamaha will have included a diode that costs about €0.01 and simply stops reverse voltages.

Some devices will work with the power either way round, but they are rare.

If there isn't any protection, a reverse supply is likely to cause damage instantly.

I've never seen anything be damaged by reverse polarity that shows up later. It's instant damage or no problem at all.

It's highly unlikely that you would have done any subtle damage. In most cases the device has some protection to prevent damage, as Yamaha will have included a diode that costs about €0.01 and simply stops reverse voltages.

Some devices will work with the power either way round, but they are rare.

If there isn't any protection, a reverse supply is likely to cause damage instantly.

I've never seen anything be damaged by reverse polarity that shows up later. It's instant damage or no problem at all.
I would agree, if it's OK now, then there's almost certainly no damage caused - so it's likely the device includes some degree of reverse protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back