Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use water to make high-voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Van de Graaff generator is much more effective than the water drop machine, but I've seen a video clip of a professor doing a demonstration of the water drop generator and it's novelty is not to be put down lightly, a very cool machine. It's not so dangerous as although the voltages are high the current is very low, you'd need some pretty serious high voltage capacitors to make it excessively dangerous, though care at high voltages is always a good idea.

A Van de Graaff generator is much more effective than the water drop machine, but I've seen a video clip of a professor doing a demonstration of the water drop generator and it's novelty is not to be put down lightly, a very cool machine. It's not so dangerous as although the voltages are high the current is very low, you'd need some pretty serious high voltage capacitors to make it excessively dangerous, though care at high voltages is always a good idea.

There was a link to a video clip on these forums somewhere - but it's the sort of thing that gets all blown out of proportion in the media - like I said, it's no different to rubbing a comb with a cloth, yet do you see the media publicising that?.

I agree though that Van de Graaff generators are cool! :p

Last edited:
Very! You should attend one of the yearly 'Teslathons'!
Van de Graaf would have been proud (its not only tesla's though!).

S.

but if you are electrifying the water you have to supply power to split the charges up surely you will merely be getting that power back ?

That drippy genny will be cute as school science thingy.
If you want something useful, make a genny running from uncle Stirling that gets its juice from uncle sun.
Or wind genny, ask bryan1, he has good knowledge on that.

Should run your PC from time to time. Save the planet in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back