Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

use of infrared keyboard at smart TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatron

Hi all
dont know if this is the right place for my question but I will shoot it anyway
Ok I have an infrared keyboard but not it's receiver! Is there anyway that I can use this as an infrared keyboard for my smart TV?
The TV accepts normal USB keyboards. What needs to be build to read the infrared codes of the keyboard and then control the TV via usb?

thanks for your time

You would need to determine the code output of your keyboard, the code input of your TV, an infrared receiver, and a microprocessor programmed to convert the keyboard code to the TV code (if the two codes are different) and then to a USB output format.

You can make a converter cheaply, in terms of parts, however it will probably take you a large amount of time depending on your experience. You need to determine the codes of each key, as mentioned by crutschow above, as well as the transmission method of the IR (most likely will be either IrDA or a modulated carrier, similar to that of a TV remote control). A couple of simple-to-use microcontrollers for the USB keyboard interface would be an ATMEGA8 with V-USB (keyboard example here https://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/hidkeys.html), or an Arduino Leonardo (ref https://arduino.cc/en/Reference/MouseKeyboard).

ok first of all thanks for your replies,
now, I managed to find the original receiver for that infrared keyboard. It is a small board which gives at the end 3 cables ( 1 earth, 1 power for the receiver, and one for the serial data, I think!). I also have a usb controller from an old usb keyboard.
So.. Keyboard infrared transmitter - infrared receiver - ?????? - keyboard usb controller. What is that I miss in there???

infrared receiver.jpgkeyboard usb.jpg

thanks again for helping

You need something to convert the electrical signal sent by the IR receiver to USB protocol. For this, you can use a microcontroller, as above.

Attempting to use the USB keyboard controller you have will cause more trouble than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back