Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

Anyone had any experience using a custom serial to USB converter? I want to register the SAME chip as different devices depending on certain variables.

Sooooo.... I want to plug the usb device in and get it to come up as a keyboard. Later I might want the chip (with no changes except in the executed code) to come as a MIDI controller or USB Mass data storage or something?

Basically... What defines what a computer recognises the device as?

A good place to start would be USB protocol and give this a read. That should get you going as to how when something is plugged in the host knows what it is.

Ron

You can make it appear as all three devices at the same time if you want. If you want to change what it is then you change what descriptors you reply with and what code you execute.

Mike.

You can make it appear as all three devices at the same time if you want. If you want to change what it is then you change what descriptors you reply with and what code you execute.

Mike.

i am getting confused...

OK, seems I want HID for keyboard + HID for transmitting midi + whatever the arduino uses for programming, i presume HID as it uses serial.

therefore I need a chip that can act as different devices to a pc... but still communicate with the arduino easily. any ideas? something FT232RL-ish :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back