Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey guys,

I have a old piece of junk of a computer, and i was thinking maybe i can start experimenting with using the usb port in it as a source of voltage or power. It would be pretty cool to turn on a circuit by plugging into a usb port. The problem is that i have no idea what the 3000 pins on the usb jack do. If anyone had some kind of short explanation or a link to a site that gave you a general overview, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Well i already did, but 95% of the results have to do with flash drives and other usb devices, and the other 5% which actually deal with circuits assume you know too much. I didn't really find an introductory site, so i asked.

Last edited:
USB 1&2 only have 4 pins. Two are signal and the remaining 2 are 5 volts and common. "USB Pinouts" first Google hit:

USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

Doesn't get any simpler than that.

Ron

That explains 4 pins.

I don't think we can explain the "other" 2996 pins in the USB jack unless you take a picture of your 3000 pin USB jack and post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back