Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to Serial conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohanchandra

Hi,
I am doing USB to Serial Conversion project. I dont know how to start.
Tell me what is the procedure to do usb to serial conversion project.
Only configuration given in the datasheet is enough or not?

Thanks in advance
Regards

There are lots of pre-made things out there that do the job, most are cheap too...

Google USB to Serial Converter

Unless you want to build something? Then maybe a microcontroller would do the job? A little to advanced for me

Hi,
I am doing USB to Serial Conversion project. I dont know how to start.
Tell me what is the procedure to do usb to serial conversion project.
Only configuration given in the datasheet is enough or not?

Thanks in advance
Regards
I would start by going to

USB.org

There are about 12 kilopages of turgid prose to wade through.
Then I would get USB Complete, by Jan Axelson
Then I would spend $400 on a Beagle USB Analyzer from Totalphase
Then I would start on the design

Last edited:
It's much easier than that. Microchip has USB stack and reference design; USB to serial is already there in the examples. It works very well.
And anybody who has ever done maintenance on someone elses code knows that it takes the same effort to read and understand that code as it does to write it from scratch.

Is this an actual project, like a school project, or do you just want something that works? I think you have answers for both situations here.

And anybody who has ever done maintenance on someone elses code knows that it takes the same effort to read and understand that code as it does to write it from scratch.

For Microchip code it's much easier to write your own code than to understand their, that's for sure. But you don't have to understand the code in order to use it.

For Microchip code it's much easier to write your own code than to understand their, that's for sure. But you don't have to understand the code in order to use it.
That's true until you want it to do something besides what the designer intended. Then you have to dive in with both hands and feet, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back