Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to RS232 Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

Hi,

I have an PC application written in VB, that interface to a MCU datalogger through RS232. It work perfect on PC with Serial port.

For some notebook, which do not come with serial port, I have use USB to RS232 Converter, and it work fine as well.

However, when the notebook computer enter standby mode, and after it wake up, my VB application is fail to read the USB to RS232 converter, it seem like the USB -RS232 converter is hang and not initialize after wake up from standby mode, and my VB program return Error: can't open port.

Any idea what I can do to resolved this problem?

Thank you,

Beside prevent it go into standby mode, any other software solution like initialize the USB RS232 converter? If yes, any hint on doing it in coding?

In Standby mode, is all software running in WinXP background lock?

VictorPS said:
Beside prevent it go into standby mode, any other software solution like initialize the USB RS232 converter? If yes, any hint on doing it in coding?

In Standby mode, is all software running in WinXP background lock?

Hi

Right click the devicename in Device manager, choose Properties, then Device Management, then play around with the options "Allow the computer to turn off..." and "Allow this device to bring...".

This works for my external RS232 modem. It couldn't work (error message: modem not responding...) after the computer resumed from standby (i.e. I needed to restart the comp). But after I changed the options it works perfectly.

From an operating system perspective, all processes are locked during standby mode. Only the user himself can resume the computer. However, when triggered by certain hardware (i.e. WakeOnLan function of some network cards, or when a modem detects ring tone), the OS can resume the computer from standby by itself without user intervention.

Hi,
This seem a good solution, I like to try, but in my Prolific USB -RS232 converter, I can't find Device Managment, or it is not support by the driver?

Thank you,

VictorPS said:
Hi,
This seem a good solution, I like to try, but in my Prolific USB -RS232 converter, I can't find Device Managment, or it is not support by the driver?

Thank you,

Hi

You can open Device Manager by opening Windows' Control Panel, then choose System, then choose the Hardware Tab. Click on the Device Manager button in the dialog box.

Or do you mean you can open Device manager but cannot find the specified options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back