Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB - to parellel or any other idea for communicate with USB 2.0 standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanalece

Can Any one suggest me a good interface IC for the purpose USB communication

Cost effective IC which will give a parallel or serial output from the USB port... SO that i can interface with this by an external micro-controller......:)

No, because they don't work - parallel and serial (so called) programmers work in entirely non-standard ways, so USB converters don't work.

If you want to make a PIC programmer, then make a PICKit2 clone, which works directly off USB.

Is there something I'm missing? I didn't see anything about a programmer. I'm thinking there are other posts here that explain more about what he wants which is not a simple USB to serial interface.

Otherwise FTDI is pretty much the standard in USB->serial interfaces. FT232R is a simple USB to serial interface. It's SMD, so if you have trouble working with it, there are breakout boards available everywhere.

There's also the CP2102 that is popular and I just saw this on Sparkfun a little while ago. No serial output, but it does do parallel like the OP is looking for and it looks pretty sweet.
SparkFun Electronics - USB3318 USB2.0 Transeiver IC

A lot of newer microcontrollers have the option of USB support built in now.

Last edited:
Is there something I'm missing? I didn't see anything about a programmer. I'm thinking there are other posts here that explain more about what he wants which is not a simple USB to serial interface.

As he specifically said parallel or serial, it seemed most likely that he was trying to connect a programmer - otherwise there's no point in mentioning parallel. If it's just data he wants to transfer, why not just use a cheap and simple USB/Serial converter - no need to mess about with SM chips.

Are you talking about USB to RS232 adapters? Because then you would need to level translate, which makes it more complicated. Getting a breakout board for an FT232R or making one yourself is just an easy way to plug USB into a breadboard and run RX/TX wires to your chip. You can also pull power from the USB supply that way as long as you are careful with it. The FTDI drivers have also come a long way and are pretty reliable now, you can also access the chip directly in your PC application rather than through a virtual COM port if you are doing an interface that's more complex than just streaming some debug or log data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back