Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Software Licensing Dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Wilder

Has anyone ever messed with getting an 8-bit microcontroller to recognize and read a USB software licensing dongle?

I'm working on designing a device that will have certain extra features, but will require the use of a software licensing dongle (which must be purchased from the company) in order to unlock the extra features. In my circuit I will be designing in a FTDI Vinculum II USB host controller that will communicate with the host microcontroller via UART. So I'll have the hardware to do it but beyond that I'm trying to figure out where to start.

Has anyone dealt with this sort of thing before?

hi John,
I use the free PL2303 Prolific Drivers, online download.
E

**broken link removed**

From what I have read... The best thing todo is make a USB dongle from the PicUSB range and use a routine within the pic to provide a key when asked.. You can do it over HID if you encrypt the value, then only you can read it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back