Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB PIC projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

k7michal

HI. I just started reading the 16C745 pdf on USB. HOLY JAMOLY, :shock:

Does anybody have experience in this field? I want to get into it (making devices that interface to PC via USB). Where is the best place to start? Are there better micros out there for USB projects than the PIC?

I know the PICs quite well (at least I like to think)

I don't think the problem is the PIC, it's USB that's complicated.

If you look on MicroChip's website you can download the source code (and full diagrams) for their new PicKit1 USB FLASH programmer, it's a good example of how to implement USB using the 16C745.

Hey mate its exactly me field of interest nowdays!

I have this book "USB Complete by Jason Alexander" its the best book you need for developing usb peripherals for your PC.

I am looking for a long time for a reasonable chip for beginners but i didnt find one yet :( :( :(
I got yesterday the PIC16C745-1/SP but i found out that its OTP and not Flash memmory so i need to get a special (and very expansive) version in order to reprogram its software (PIC16C745-1/JW).

Cypress got very good linew of USB microcontrollers (EnCoRe) but the developing board costs around 500$ !!!

Philips has a nice chip (ISP1181B) but its only comes as SOIC version.

National has the USBN9602 USBN9603 USBN9604 but again SOIC !!!

I am starting to think that developing USB peripherals is something impossible for us the beginners... :evil:

udi_hakim said:
I got yesterday the PIC16C745-1/SP but i found out that its OTP and not Flash memmory so i need to get a special (and very expansive) version in order to reprogram its software (PIC16C745-1/JW).

You can order a PIC16C745-1/JW as a free sample from the MicroChip website, I know because I got one like that! :lol:

udi_hakim said:
Philips has a nice chip (ISP1181B) but its only comes as SOIC version.

SOIC isn't really that hard to solder, all you need is a solder iron with very small tip. You can also order dummy ic's (cheap empty SMD packages) to help you practice.

If you don't have the ability to make your own pcb's you can always buy experiment boards wich have SOIC pads.

From the site www.microchip.com you can get the 16C745 wich can be erased with UV light for free

Also their you can find samples code's for this ic I've used this chip susecfully for a usb game controller (game pad) for my project on school

Hi !

I just want to make an USB interface with 16c745. I already tried many samples from microchip, the mouse simulation works very well.

My problems are the descriptors and windows driver. I cannot find information or tools about this.

If anyone knows...

Thanks

udi_hakim said:

USB is rather difficult to jump into, especially if you try to read the specification. I've worked with the USBN9604 DIP breakout from this guy:
**broken link removed**
He also has some sample code for the PIC, including descriptors.

Also, he has his own VID and allows hobbyists to use them. It's not exactly the holy grail, but it should get you started.

Hi !

I managed to program correctly the PIC, it's able to send data to the pc and it works.

My problem now is the driver for windows 2000.

If someone has an idea...

j2f said:
Hi !

I managed to program correctly the PIC, it's able to send data to the pc and it works.

My problem now is the driver for windows 2000.

If someone has an idea...

According to the documentation on the PicKit1 USB programmer, it works under Win2000, so why do you need a driver?. Microchip provide all the source code in VB6 for the PC side.

I have been interested in utilizing usb with a Pic micro-controller for some time now. At the time there were no available USB ready Pics on the market, so I downloaded the usb 1.1 spec and started to plough into it.

My original plan was to create my own usb controller using the Pic 16f628 or similar, and I still believe that is possible, but a lot of work for one lowly student in my opinion. Just today I searched the net again and found that the 16C745 is USB “ready”, but as you have stated it is an OTP.

What I wished to ask is if anyone has heard of a Pic running code from an external memory. My plan was to write some basic code into a standard Pic 16C745 and using an external flash memory chip to store program code, in effect making the 16C745 rewrite-able.

I know some other micro controllers such as those from Motorola have the ability to read from external memory, and I was curious if anyone has seen this option on a PIC. Or if you have seen a work around that worked well, say a custom Address/data bus from the PIC I/O.

Now don’t start at me about searching the web, I wanted to ask here if anyone had seen anything like this to save time. While I wait for a reply I will be scouring the web for other info, and if I find anything I will try to post it here.

Thank you.

PS, does anyone who has used a 16C745 know if it is capable of a USB BULK transfer?

Dixon.G said:
What I wished to ask is if anyone has heard of a Pic running code from an external memory. My plan was to write some basic code into a standard Pic 16C745 and using an external flash memory chip to store program code, in effect making the 16C745 rewrite-able.

I believe some of the higher end PIC's may be able to use external memory (but I've never used one), generally using external memory would rather ruin the main reasons for using a PIC. All you need is an EPROM eraser, and the 16C745JW - unfortunately they no longer seem to supply it as a sample :cry:

Multiplexing analog lines over PIC16C745 and then USB

Hi
Is good to know this forum exists.
I need to build a kind of mixer that allows to record 3 or 4 audio voice inputs at the same time. I am using a PIC16C745 with USB, so i can record the digitally converted voice inputs in my computer.
The problem is that i dont know if the PIC16C745 will be capable of recording so many voices at the same time, because this PIC implements the low speed USB standard (not the full or hi speed)., so the throghput maybe is too small.
The voice recordings are very low quality, 8 bit, mono, 5khz more or less.
Could you recommend me a microcontroller with USB that allows me to do this application?? Is it possible with the PIC16C745???

Hey everyone,

here's my problem...
I'd like to build a stand-alone mp3 player, which would read the data from a USB flash drive..
I've got the mp3 card ready, but my problem is to know whether I can read the data on the USB flash drive using a chip like PIC 16C745 (or another one) and if it's possible, HoW ?

I've read a lot of documentation already, but all seem to be oriented towards building a USB device to communicate whith USB port on computer...

If someone has anykind of idea...it could really help me..

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back