Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB PIC programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

How good are these? I'm happy with my Warp13 programmer but I like the idea of not needing an external power supply so I can work on devices in my car and whatnot with just my laptop. Running an extension cord is just a pain.

https://www.mpja.com/directview.asp?product=8428++KT

I don't see a 5-pin ICP socket though. This would be a problem... I could always wire one out of the ZIF socket or otherwise wire one in.

What kind of software works with this thing??

I have one and it works great. The software is good and they have upgrades that you download and program a new PIC for the programer to support new devices. This is a FLASH only type PIC programmer. The only problem I had was finding a USB cable. Look at the picture it is the same connector that is on the back of the computer. I not sure if it is a "A" or "B" but both ends are the same. I think it is a good choice but I have not used many others.

Does it have a 5 pin ICP connector? I didn't see one in the picture, is it hidden behind the ZIF?

all you would have to do to add one is solder 5 wires to the correct pins on the underside of the board, and run them out a hole in the side of the case to whatever connector you wanted for ICSP...

Did you get the kit or the assembled? Does the kit have everything (box, etc) except for the ZIF?

I have a 40 gold pin ZIF on a PIC16PRO40 I will never use... crappy printer port interface and you had to buy the software, which I never did. So I want to go for the much cheaper kit if there's no other problems.

Oznog said:
I have a 40 gold pin ZIF on a PIC16PRO40 I will never use... crappy printer port interface and you had to buy the software, which I never did. So I want to go for the much cheaper kit if there's no other problems.

You don't have to buy Bojan's software, WinPicProg and IC-Prog are both free and work with the P16PRO40 - which makes the P16PRO40 considerably cheaper than that USB programmer. The USB programmer also only programs the PIC FLASH chips, and it doesn't appear to specify which ones?.

You might consider the MicroChip PICKit 1, which is a similar FLASH programmer?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You don't have to buy Bojan's software, WinPicProg and IC-Prog are both free and work with the P16PRO40 - which makes the P16PRO40 considerably cheaper than that USB programmer. The USB programmer also only programs the PIC FLASH chips, and it doesn't appear to specify which ones?.

You might consider the MicroChip PICKit 1, which is a similar FLASH programmer?.

Huh. Well, I'd still like to get a programmer which doesn't require an external power supply. Or- hey, here's a crazy idea- I wonder if I can jack into the laptop's USB solely for the power for the Warp13 while using the serial port for power as usual? USB only produces 5V though, and I think the Warp13 taps into a higher voltage from the input to its 5v reg to make the higher voltage needed for programming.

Oznog said:
Huh. Well, I'd still like to get a programmer which doesn't require an external power supply. Or- hey, here's a crazy idea- I wonder if I can jack into the laptop's USB solely for the power for the Warp13 while using the serial port for power as usual? USB only produces 5V though, and I think the Warp13 taps into a higher voltage from the input to its 5v reg to make the higher voltage needed for programming.

Not as crazy as you might think!, the USB programmer above probably does exactly that - the MicroChip PICKit 1 certainly does, it uses the in-built processor as a switch-mode controller, to generate and regulate the 13V it reguires from the 5V USB input. All this while programming the PIC as well :D

Full details, circuits, software etc. are available on the MicroChip website, although it takes a bit of finding!.

Oznog said:
Did you get the kit or the assembled? Does the kit have everything (box, etc) except for the ZIF?

It was a kit but you only had to solder a couple of item that were not surface mounted like IC socket and led

Here is a link that has a lot of info about the USB programer. The sofrtware is provide and is very easy to use.
https://kitsrus.com/

I've been working with a MAX662 that does just that. 5v in 12v out.
It works when used as a supply. when it is used as a switching source it don't always work right. I am still working on it.

Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back