Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB hard drive - microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halo

I need some guidlines on this subject.

I plan to build a mp3 player which will use an usb hard drive as a memory. Have looked around but doesn't found any information on how to begin (Theres are a lot of information about usb but not on how to communicate with a hard drive).
So if you anyone have any clues or maybe you have already buld one I would be glad.

Thanks

Halo said:
I need some guidlines on this subject.

I plan to build a mp3 player which will use an usb hard drive as a memory. Have looked around but doesn't found any information on how to begin (Theres are a lot of information about usb but not on how to communicate with a hard drive).
So if you anyone have any clues or maybe you have already buld one I would be glad.

There are plenty of ready made USB/IDE interfaces available at little cost, there wouldn't be much point in spending a great deal more money trying to do something similar. Most of them use a custom made chip, you would need a considerable amount of electronics to duplicate them.

Hi!
Thanks for your answer, but it's not a USB/IDE interface I'm going to build.
It's a USB to USB (HOST to Peripherals).

The hardware I'm going to use is a maxtor oneTouch disk (has only usb) and a microcontroller, haven't decided which microcontroller to use.
Problaby someone that already has USB. So what I'm worry about it's how to communicate with the hard drive.
I haven't found any similar info or project on the webb so I hope somebody can give me a hint.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back