Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB extension cable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Arrow

Hello all
how are you hope that you are fine ..

i've bought a usb extension cable of 5 meters , when i tried it in the store it works fine under windows xp pc , but it's not recognized when i install it in my win 6 laptop , why ?
i think it's a power issue , is it sufficient to use a usb hub in PC end .. it's important for me to be the USB hub in the PC end ?

and thanx alot

It sounds like the problem is that your cable is not connectet properly to the PC. It is just an extention cable and there is no reason it should not work with a computer of any type.

It sounds like the problem is that your cable is not connectet properly to the PC. It is just an extention cable and there is no reason it should not work with a computer of any type.

hi DT,
I would guess its not just an extension cable, but a USB, PC to PC link cable which has a 'module' somewhere in the cable and it comes with an installation disk.

Is that so DeadlyArrow.???

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Could this be a powered, active USB cable? I havent actually tried one of these yet but wanted to eventually. Supposedly they allow you to use a USB device many feet from the computer port, like 35 feet or maybe more. Anyone try these cables yet?

Last edited:
In all probability, the problem is the current available from the USB port(s) on the laptop as compared to that of the store PC where you tested the cable. Many laptops have comparatively low USB current available - usually just within the USB specs. The length of the cable coupled with the lower current to start with yield a non-performing port at the end of the cable. I'll bet that if you connect an externally-powered USB hub to the laptop port, and then use the cable via the externally-powered hub, it will work fine...

When the city provided free WiFi service, I couldn't get a decent signal at my desk, so bought 2 x 15 foot active USB cables to put the receiver in the front of my house. Worked fine for about a year, the the city's budget cuts, dropped the WiFi. This was using a desktop computer. I got luck occasionally and hijacked a neighbor's unsecured network for a while, the Windows Vista did an update, and now I can't get into any unsecured nets. The cables state clearly, that you can only connect a total of three in series, and suggest a powered hub for high current USB powered equipment.

I have used two USB active extension cables in series for a lab system. Worked fine. The device was External powered though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back