Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB encryption key storage with uproc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojo

I have an idea for a little project to enhance privacy for computer users. The idea is to store a relatively long encryption key (4096 bits, maybe more) on a USB solid state memory device.

To avoid the need for special software, the best way to do this would be by using a standard USB solid state storage device ("thumb drive") with a uproc (maybe a PIC) added to it. The PIC would simply erase the solid state memory if a button is held down for five seconds or so. That way, if the device is in danger of being captured, it can be securely erased.

The problem is interfacing the uproc to the solid state memory. Rather than using the USB interface I should think you could go the more direct route of attaching directly to the solid state memory chip. Anyone tried this or know anything about it?

MoJo

I was recently involved in a project that used the java button/ring technology for the purposes of authentication, encryption, and decryption. The nice thing is that they have many security features built in which will prevent the casual user from compromising the security of the private key.

Using a USB thumb drive would be possible, but it seems that the key would be exposed if for instance a user left it in their computer and went to get a cup of coffee.

crust said:
Using a USB thumb drive would be possible, but it seems that the key would be exposed if for instance a user left it in their computer and went to get a cup of coffee.

Perhaps Bluetooth is the answer?

MoJo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back