Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB coupling capacitor value

Status
Not open for further replies.

djunified

Hello all,

I am in the process of repairing a control board from a Traktor DJ controller that belongs to a friend of mine. He uses this controller quite a bit for parties and whatnot, so the atmosphere of the "night life" is probably to blame for breaking the USB port on the main control board. Its no longer under warranty, so he gave it to me as I'm a second year student to be an Avionics technician, so my electronics repair skills are fairly decent.

It seems that along with breaking the internals of the USB port which is type B (printer), there were two capacitors labelled C323 and C324 which were also broken from the board. Refer to the picture below for a closeup. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the pads or traces, just the missing components. So it should be a simple matter of replacing the capacitor(s).

**broken link removed**

C323 seems to be the important one here, as it looks to be a coupling capacitor for the 5v VUSB line that would be connected to pin 1 of the USB port. Pins 2, 3, and 4 are Data -, Data +, and GND respectively. The capacitor C324 doesn't look to be connected to anything on top or underside of the board.

That being said, I have no way of finding a repair manual or schematic for this board to reference these capacitors and obtain a value for them. So I'm stuck in a kind of guessing game.

I read an article on the fundamentals of USB design which stated that the capacitance on the VUSB line should be no more than 10uF, but no less than 1uF to prevent inrush current. The capacitor would be a ceramic SMT style in the proper size, although I am unsure of ceramic smt sizes.

I obviously have no idea about the engineering of these circuits, I just stick to repair only. So maybe some experts on here could chime in and confirm if using a 10uF capacitor on the VUSB line would be sufficient without damage to the rest of the board.

Thank you in advance

C323 seems to be the important one here, as it looks to be a coupling capacitor for the 5v VUSB line that would be connected to pin 1 of the USB port.

It can't be a 'coupling' capacitor, as it wouldn't pass the DC for the 5v line.

More likely both are simply power supply decoupling capacitors, and will probably work without them - if not, try 0.1uF or similar.

It can't be a 'coupling' capacitor, as it wouldn't pass the DC for the 5v line.

More likely both are simply power supply decoupling capacitors, and will probably work without them - if not, try 0.1uF or similar.

Thanks for the reply!

You're right about is not being a coupling cap, as caps block DC.

So if I put a 0.1uF cap in both spots, no harm would be caused to the board right? Or should i just try changing the port first and seeing if it works without the caps?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back