Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Usb cam to 3.0 to cat6 to 3.0 to android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusdkporter

I want to take an old webcam and attached it to a semi-ridgid piece of wire/pipe/tubing and run a wire the full length and view the live image on my phone. My research says usb 2.0 won't have enough power to reach 100 ft. But usb 3.0 will. A 100 ft of usb 3.0 is pretty expensive. But it says ethernet cat6 can handle the videos transmission also..cat6 at 100ft is pretty cheap. So can I run bare wire usb from webcam and solder it to bare wire usb 3.0 to male type c - to female to female type c - male type c to male cat6 - to cat6 cable - to female cat 6 to male type c- to samsung S9?

I doubt any of that will work. However, there are USB to Cat5/6 converters out there. Often they are called range extenders of converters.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. It will have enough power and usb c can have a cord as long as 120 ft. Ethernet even further. It will have power and data transfer capabilities and all the proper adapters.

USB 3.0 cable and Cat6 cable are totally different designs (impedance, signal levels, etc.). But, if you think it will work, try it and report back here on your success.

A USB-C connector has 24 pins. 22 of those need connecting through to give all capabilities.

Note that according to standards, the maximum length of a USB3 cable is three metres.

Somewhat longer connections are possible, but by using ACTIVE cables that contain signal amplifiers to regenerate the data.

Active cables can be chained together, to multiply the total length - but the actual copper sections between electronics are not all that long.

Ethernet can be 100m from device to device, but it uses very different signal types and frequencies.
Using an Ethernet webcam / CCTV camera that has PoE capability would be a lot simpler!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back