USB 'announce'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippogriff

My latest dooberry-wotsit is USB-powered... using a nice type A receptacle. Although it will usually be powered by a USB wall-wart, I have been powering it via my Thinkpad while developing.

Obviously, as it's only getting power from the USB, it does not do a ding-dong USB 'announce' when I plug it in to a computer.

That got me to wondering... what is the most basic thing you would need to do so that your thingy with a USB socket on it would USB 'announce' itself?

It doesn't have to explain what it is or say "hey, I need a driver" or anything like that to the OS... I'm just wondering what you need to have so that the ding-dong happens and there's that audible cue that, yes, something just got connected... I might not know what that something is, what it does or what it expects from me, but I know it's there and so I'm telling you about it.

If you check the MicroChip website there's a considerable amount of data on USB, along with examples - but it's NOT simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…