Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UPS (uninteruptable power supply) for computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maury

Rather than purchase an expensive store-bought UPS, why not just use a 12 volt auto battery (perhaps with mains charger) along wiith appropriate voltage regulators (with nec. circuitry) , say, 12vdc , 5v and 3.3 v for emergency computer power? Dumb question? :oops:

No not a dumb question at all, thats what a UPS is mainly composed of. Its just that you left out the DC to AC convertor part.

The biggest problem with building your own UPS supply is in getting a good sinewave output. Even some of the store bought units dont produce a perfect sinewave output UPS, eventhough they will boast that they do.

UPS (uninteruptable power supply)

Nettron 1000 . Thanks for the answer to my question! Also, thanks to this net and the unselfish responders. I will keep on board>

UPS

Don't computers use only dc, 12v, 3.3v etc? Why do we need to invert the battery voltage, say, 12vdc to AC and then use a power supply to convert down to some dc level? I think I was behind the door when they passed computer smarts. :?

Because for consumers need only two connections...
and computers haven't 10...20A sockets for supply input. I've seen old ATPSU-s with in-built inverter and 12V 7Ah accu.
Of course possible to build PSU for PC with multiple outputs from 12V, but this is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back