Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Upload Attachments To Conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hi,

Any way to upload an attachment to a private conversation? I thought this was working now but i dont see an option to upload in a conversation.

Thanks.

I have the option, but perhaps it's only available to moderators? If so, that seems pretty ridiculous to me. Let me check something....

Hmm, that was strange. Your permissions showed you didn't have permission to start or receive PMs, or to upload attachments. Try it again, if you will.

Matt

Hey thanks Matt, it is working now i just tried it.
I wonder how my 'permissions' changed.

Do you also happen to know if the Latex editor is working again yet or no?

This does not appear to be something a lowly user can change for themselves...

Hi MrAl,

It looks like everyone's permissions changed for some reason. It may be the default setting for one of the last software updates that users cannot upload attachments. It can only be changed through the admin control panel.

I'll talk to Dave and see if there was a reason that members are not allowed to upload attachments to conversations by default.

As for the latex editor, it appears to still be broken. I'll mention that as well.

Matt

I seem to remember we had a discussion similar to this some months ago, I tried to look back and find it, but to no avail.

On that occasion I just enabled the facility for the member who had the problem.

On a wider scale, I have no reason why the facility is not available to all.

JimB

On Edit:
The previous discussion was here:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com...ice-and-stable-now.144815/page-2#post-1224920

I seem to remember we had a discussion similar to this some months ago, I tried to look back and find it, but to no avail.

On that occasion I just enabled the facility for the member who had the problem.

On a wider scale, I have no reason why the facility is not available to all.

JimB

Yep, I know who that member was too. Saw him listed in the admin panel saying he had "custom permissions" because one of us changed them.

I have a PM out to Dave to see if there was a reason it was disabled, and to see if he could enable it for all (at least well-known) members.

I asked about the "attachment to conversations" a while ago. Never really got a definitive answer from Dave.

At the same time enabling it between "most helpful members" means what? Only they can sent attachments between themselves? That's nearly useless.

Is asking for it to be turned on temporarily or permanently between conversationalists permitted?

Hi again,

Thanks Matt and JimB. I would have no problem with it being turned on for regular members only or something like that. I keep the file sizes small too so as not to take up too much server bandwidth. I usually use .gif for drawings as i find i can make the file size pretty small, always under 100k and usually much smaller.

Remember when everyone got annoyed with PM SPAM?

In practice resolutions always up being "all or nothing ", especially when issues develop. An aside: I do believe that brand new members really can't upload anything which is good thing. You may typically only have to choose for whatever options are available. You can't at a whim say, after at least one post with a delay of 24 hours before the option is enabled.

Your "stuck" with what the software provides.

You can't arbitrarily have an option in the conversations for everybody that says "User accepts attachments" that is initially off. Even if you had such an option, you inevitably would never find out until you send, which is also annoying. That, sort of, behavior would keep the spamability pretty low.

I would hope, that having PM privs would at least be delayed 24 hours after registering or after having >1 post. PM ing of moderators should always be permitted.

Do you also happen to know if the Latex editor is working again yet or no?

Hi KISS,

Dave appears to have fixed the Latex editor. I tested it and it works for me, but it would be good to know if it works across the board.

Regards,
Matt

[latex]\widetilde{a}[/latex]

I guess OK,the closing tag wasn't right.

Other comments:
It initially opened wierdly, like covering the entire screen or hiding on an entirely different FF window.

The instructions are "borderline stupid"

"Please enter you latex above"

Nothing about tags or having to paste it into the message body

Hey, once a grad student said, see if you can crash my "network terminal handler" tat he wrote for his Thesis. I thought about it for maybe 5 minutes, walked over to a logged out terminal and typed three characters. "Crash". It was a special case. My sequence caused the character position to go negative. I had prior knowledge of the issues because of helping a friend patch the OS to handle scope rubouts. We were fortunate to have the sources of a major OS of a minicomputer.

Other comments:
It initially opened wierdly, like covering the entire screen or hiding on an entirely different FF window.

The instructions are "borderline stupid"

"Please enter you latex above"

Nothing about tags or having to paste it into the message body

I thought it always popped up in a separate browser window. It always did for me.

I generally don't use tags, I click and drag the image of the formula into the reply window. I'm not familiar enough with Latex to be able to simply punch in the code.

[Latex]a*b^9+3*4/A_2[/Latex]

Hello Matt,

It looks like it is working again. My suggestion would be to have someone test it from time to time to make sure it still works because so many people have used Latex in their posts and so they could easily become unreadable if the Latex engine stops working for any reason. I've seen this happen many times in the past.
It could be that after a software update of some kind that it breaks something that allows the Latex code to show properly.

[Latex]a*b^9+3*4/A_2[/Latex]

Hello Matt,

It looks like it is working again. My suggestion would be to have someone test it from time to time to make sure it still works because so many people have used Latex in their posts and so they could easily become unreadable if the Latex engine stops working for any reason. I've seen this happen many times in the past.
It could be that after a software update of some kind that it breaks something that allows the Latex code to show properly.

According to Dave:

LaTex is actually using one of the PDF libraries to do all this... I googled complex latex equation and was limited by the number of chars I could put in.

Anyhow.. library got corrupted somehow... crash on write or reboot on write... don't know but file was locked and ZERO length...

Hi again,

Oh yes, i think there is a limit as to how large you can make the equation/expression maybe? Wonder if there is a spec on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back