Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unused Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi All,

I'm using an 8 bit bidirectional voltage translator chip, TX0108E, between a 5v Pic and a 3v3 device.

All is running well, but normally when you have unused gates on chips you tie them H or L - but wondered what is the best thing to do with the 2 pairs of unused gates I have on this chip ?

Nothing to give any suggestion in the datasheet, just wondered if leaving then open would cause any problems ?

Attachments

• txs0108e.pdf
    784 KB · Views: 179
THe datasheet says each I/O has a pull-up resistor inside the IC that are enabled whenever the IC is enabled so it seems you could just leave the pins disconnected. You can't just connect straight to +V or straight to ground since it would make a short-circuit whenever the pin was the opposite value. If you are not certain you could always just connect your own pull-up (or pull-down resistors) of a sufficiently high resistance to keep the pin from floating and dissipating too much energy. Or you could tie the inputs to a known value and leave the outputs unconnected- that should keep the I/O pins in a known state.

Personally, I'd be tempted to do the last thing if there were no internal pull-ups, since it takes no extra components.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back