Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown Inductance

Status
Not open for further replies.

iONic

Anyone know the aprox. inductance of:

80 turns of .5mm wire around a toroidal core with an outside diameter of 40mm?

It depends mostly on the material of the core; do you know what it is? If you have a signal generator and scope, you can figure it out by resonating the coil with a known capacitor. I have a 1/4% cap that I use for that purpose.

1/4% cap? Where do I get one of those? =)

It is used in the 540 series of Tektronix scopes for the time base. I don't know what they are using now, but it is probably just as accurate. BTW, it is not +-1/4 % but just +1/4%.

Don’t get lost over the “0.25% capacitor”. Use a 5% cap.
If you use a signal generator and scope they are probably not as good as the 5% cap.

Hmm, could I measure inductance with my old tube oscilloscope? (Just alittle math required in reading the dials :eek: ) Note that unfortunately, my scope lacks a grid pattern on the display. Instead of an oscillator, could I hook the resistor/inductor pair to the scope's 6V 60 Cycle test lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back