Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Universial Bit Whacker advice / expert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

After browsing the UBW site & Sparkfuns UBW it looks like the UBW firmware might make for a handy relay I/O controller from a Linux or Windows PC / home server.
Q. Would a kit with 6 relays RB0-7 and 4 opto RA2-5 inputs be of interest?
Q. Would adding an Arduino compatible shield connector be useful?

Radio frequency.. but gee I think it's too simple for experts to bother writing a firmware about it.. just that I'm having trouble data logging using my UBW via RF.

Vizier have you not looked? Sparkfun and many other sites sell simple Zigbee and Bluetooth RF modules that will transmit serial data wirelessly.

I'm guessing a relay board for UBW would be quiet useful for many people. Making it compatible with the Arduino as well would make a lot of people happy. I'm surprised there isn't something similiar available already, at least as far as the relay modules go, but I didn't look for one either =)

I didn't, Scead, thanks for the info. But my UBW is custom made. I'm still troubleshooting it, and Sparkfun forums are like molasses unlike here. I guess I'd just have to do it the hard way; hammer it into submission. :)

If there is a UBW kit with relays & optos I haven't seen one either. The serial port could be used for an XBee but it'll need level translators as the UBW is 5V and the XBee 3.3V
Other options for the serial port would be RS232 (easy), RS485 or Modbus (would require a firmware change to the UBW)

blueroomelectronics:
The only UBW kits I have found are the ones at sparkfun. No relays.

This page has some info on running USB enabled pics at 3.3V
**broken link removed**

others:
I messed with the UBW stuff over two years ago. I do not recall any major problems getting one goin. But the sparkfun forum is the place to ask them.

So far I'm leaning towards...
Standalone 5V supply (7805) relays are on raw 12VDC external power
ICD / ICP header like all my kits
PIC18F2550 @ 20MHz (just like the Junebug)
6 type C relays (RB0-5) ULN2803
4 opto inputs (RA0-3)
MAX3160E (RS232/422/485) to DE9
Optional 433MHz TX / RX module support on CCPx pins (where the LEDs are on the UBW)
Here's a twist, I may add header support for the Arduino
I'll start prototyping this week using a Unicorn kit as the UBW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back