Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unidentified Female Crimp Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTL_UK

Hello experts,

I am undertaking such a simple project it barely warrants the term "electronics". In essence I am just making a cable to connect my MP3 player to 3 pins on the back of my car radio.

There is a 9x2 connector into which one can wire an AUX input. Unfortunately the connector is only partially wired. (half of the "holes" don't have the female crimp pins inside).

They should be easy enough to find, right? That's what I was thinking when i embarked upon this straight-forward project. "No" is the answer :-(

After trawling various websites and emailing various people, I spoke direct to AMP (Tyco). Long story short, the connector HOUSING pictured below (with the latch) is indeed AMP but the contents are not :-( the crimp pins are unbranded (Tyco always stamp theirs).

My question to the experts:

Where else can I find this sort of thing (i just need 3 of these crimp pins, female)?

The pics:
**broken link removed**
take the housing off and you find....
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Thanks in advance,

Thad

ps sorry about the giant pictures!

Even though they may be second-sourced they still have to be compatible with the TYCO/AMP housing.
I Googled: AMP "PBT-GF20"
and at the top of the search got: https://www.tycoelectronics.ch/_includes/pdf/ste/catalogs/1307998-1_07-2005_MCP.pdf
My guess is that you can find a compatible pin for your housing from TYCO. The problem will be to get a small amount of them. :(

Another possibility is to go to an auto junk yard and find the connector there. Cut out the assembly, remove the pins (with the wires attached), insert them into your housing, and connect directly to these.

Another place to look may be outfits that install audio systems in cars. :rolleyes:

Ken

That looks like a typical crimp pin for 0.025 contacts. There are many variations on it. One important variation is whether it is held in place by a barb on the side opposite the crimp or by an indent locking on the side of the crimp. Your pin looks like and indent version. (Edit: see edit below) A second feature is the distance of the indent lock from the plug end. A third, feature is the way the contact is made, i.e, the type of spring loading. Fourth, there is the way the wire is gripped. Some use a curled grip, which is like the wire crimp; others simply wrap the metal ears around the wire. It appears you have the latter type. If you have an indent type and get the distance right, it may be interchangeable with similar pins regardless of the contact mechanism or wire gripping technique. Be careful in crimping. The crimpers are different for the different types of wire gripping, but I have been able to use a crimper that is from the crimped/curled wire type with a wrapped-tab type of pin. Finally, the mating crimped pins for free hanging connectors are often flattened, rather than square as with a typical header. I recently came across some pins that were sold for these connectors, but were too wide to fit.

John

Edit: I agree with KMoffett about the Amp housing. It appears different than the finger indent type I referred to. My comments were related to the appearance of the pin itself. It appears to be yet a third type of retention mechanism.

Last edited:
Ken, John.

Thank you both for your replies.

The junkyard idea is one i've tried briefly - Perhaps more effort on that front is required, especially as, even if I do find the right pin, I don't want to end up having to buy a reel of 100,000 or something!

The latch / barb / tang is one of the trickiest features of this pin. I can't find any (of any size) that have the mechanism on side that mine is - or that slope in the this direction.

Thanks again - I will post back if anything materializes.

Thad

Hello! If somebody still required some details about this TE AMP parts...

Original part # is GM 93187174 / OPEL 6286757
The set included pre-assembled PBT-GF20 and 20 wires.

As alternative, you can find the original TE parts:
Housing
1-1355350-1 https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-1355350-1.html -- black color
2-1355350-1 https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-2-1355350-1.html -- natural color

Connector
1355348-1 https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1355348-1.html

Pin
144969-1 https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-144969-1.html

In Opel Astra J this device installed for DAB audio and can be found under passenger Airbag.
In some countries DAB is not actual and device can be easy re-used for example for Bluetooth hands free (GM 13343110 | OPEL 1780485 ).

Hope it helps,
ruslan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back