Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unidentified Component on Ultra Sound Sealing Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menticol

Hello guys! Long time no see! I wish you a great year.

I come to you with another electronic enigma. This time is a Chinese ultra sound sealing machine, used for plastic clothing.

Before explaining the symptoms, here's my guess of how it works and what I've done:

First there's a ultra-sound transducer attached to a metallic plate. The cloth rests over the plate, and is firmly pressed against it by a pneumatically actuated roller. The roller is coupled to an electric motor, to make the cloth advance as the roller spins.

20160106_130407.jpg

Now the part of interest. There's an electrical box that include control switches, an ampere meter, and the PCBs.

20160106_130423.jpg

20160108_162122.jpg

Inside the box there are two boards, one that I call "control" and "power". Control generates high frequency pulses. It also performs other machine functions like controlling the roller rotation motor, the nematic valve, etc.

20160106_130107.jpg

Now the "Power" board is a transistor bank. A total of 10 x 2C5589 transistors in parallel, driven by the control board.

20160106_130113.jpg
This power board feed various step up transformers located below, a capacitor bank, a very ugly hand wound coil. I guess someone had attempted to badly repair it.

20160106_130128.jpg
20160106_130058.jpg

The output of this circuitry feeds the ultra-sound transducer at the beginning of the post.

Well, recently the machine failed. The main fuse blew up, so I traced the fault to the transistor bank. Since these transistors are hard to get (none on digikey, mouser, just Aliexpress chinese fakes) we bought three new boards from the manufacturer (the manufacturer is not willing to send a technician, so we are on our own).

Since I have no service manual I compared the values from the components on another working machine. The impedance of the transformers is the same, nothing is shorted or open.

Believing that nothing else was wrong, I decided to power up the machine and operate the ultrasound. A loud buzzing noise came from the electrical box every time the ultrasound kicks in. The ampere meter goes up to 5A (the normal working rating is 1). No smell or heat is detected.

Thinking that maybe one of the capacitors was damaged, I checked each one. All of them look good.

20160108_142828.jpg
Tried disconnecting the transducer (to see if it was the problem). Even without load the noise remained.

Tried disconnecting the switching board from the transformers and the noise went away. But well, without the transformers the machine is a big paperweight!

20160108_162130.jpg

20160108_162138.jpg

I also don't know what this component is

strange.jpg

20160108_162108.jpg

20160108_162115.jpg

The Chinese manual mentions that the output frequency should be adjusted (I assume with a trim pot on the control board). But do you think that mismatched frequency could result on high power consumption? I do prefer to ask you before starting to play with the settings.

Please, if you have experience with this machines or can give me some light about the route to follow, it will be extremely appreciated.

Best Regards

Felipe

Last edited:
No, it's not a nut, but it has to be attached to something which locks. Maybe a potentiometer or something.

I've seen something "similar" in an antenna rotator where you pulled the assembly to change the value of a limit switch.

Note the gear teeth on the outside of your gizmo.

Looking at your other pictures, what makes the most sense to me is a PTC or temperature cut out for the windings. Maybe variable?

An HV rectifier, I think makes little sense with the fiberglass insulation and the close proximity of the wires to each other.

Think of the transformer radiating the heat and then dissipating it through the nylon fins. The device may have some adjustability to it.

Maybe, something like this: https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/459/Cat_06_pg0090-607.pdf

Last edited:
Looking at the last picture the item inside the plastic moulding looks like a ferrite pot core. Could it be that the adjustment adjusts the separation of the two halves of the core thus changing the inductance ?

Les.

I'm sorry for taking so long guys! Had a little family issue here. Thank you very much KISS and Les. I was blind but now I see.

Now the challenge is trying to find where the loud buzzing sound and high current consumption comes from. The transformers are not shorted nor open. The impedance is quite low (0.5 ohm) but I guess is normal, since it's the same value I took from another operating machine.

Facing the impossibility of getting a schematic, I was thinking about operating the machine in series with a light bulb to hunt the failure without burning again the transistor bank, kind of trial and miss.

Do any of you had any experience with this type of equipment?

Thank you so much!

At first I was somewhat sceptic, but KISS and Les were absolutely right. The device is an adjustable tuning coil, and is used to regulate the machine operating frequency. The sound came from the transistor board. After giggling with the adjustment the current consumption returned to normal and the buzzing sound is gone.

I've seen something "similar" in an antenna rotator where you pulled the assembly to change the value of a limit switch.

Looking at the last picture the item inside the plastic moulding looks like a ferrite pot core. Could it be that the adjustment adjusts the separation of the two halves of the core thus changing the inductance ?

Les.

Thank you again guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back