Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unable to start a Conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotophor

I recently thought it might be better to move some of my discussion off the forums to a private conversation (for my first time), and realized that I couldn't see how to do it. A search found me this thread, messages 4-8, which seems to indicate another member with the same issue.

I'm using Windows XP and Google Chrome Version 34.0.1847.137 m (the last Chrome version which is supported on my hardware). The member in the thread above also seemed to be using Chrome.

No Convo.jpg

I assume there should also be a way to start a conversation from the member's full profile page, but I don't see anything there either:

No Convo B.jpg

I also tried a different route, by going to my Conversations page, but there's no button or link for me to start a new conversation there either.

No Convo 2.jpg

Last edited:
To start a Conversation, click on your username at the top right hand side of the screen.

You will get a dropdown of various options.

Conversation Start.JPG

Click on Conversations and off you go.

JimB

Conversation Start2.JPG

JimB

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I click my username as you showed just above in post #4, then I click the "Conversations" link as you showed in post #2, and it brings me to the page shown in my 3rd screenshot in my post #1 above. Please EXAMINE that screenshot then tell me how to start a conversation from there - there isn't any link or button for starting a new conversation!

Last edited:
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

OK, I have got it, I see what you are on about now.

JimB (Who fears that he may be losing the plot).

Not the same as Scotophor"s example, but perhaps additional info for a fix.

"Search" window obscures the button, but hitting the button's bottom edge works...
StartConversation.JPG

^^^Let me try and see if I have luck.

Starting now.

OK I know Ian got it. But he is probably ignoring it :eek:
More than enough to do besides me wandering around here.

Early night tonight.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Just sent a PM to Scotophor to check if that part of a "Conversation" works.

Just sent a PM to Scotophor to check if that part of a "Conversation" works.
That part works, I can participate in Conversations started by others. I just can't start one myself.

I think we're on the right track now:
Denied.jpg
When clicking the link I get this Error screen saying, "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action," with login fields. However, as you can see by my username at the top, I'm already logged in. Attempting to log in again here has no apparent effect; the same screen reloads with the fields blank again.

From this I would guess that either: A) there's some obscure prerequisite for starting a Conversation which I don't meet, and/or B) moderators have the ability to prohibit individual members from starting Conversations, and for some reason the system thinks I'm prohibited.

Last edited:
Not the same as Scotophor"s example, but perhaps additional info for a fix.

"Search" window obscures the button, but hitting the button's bottom edge works...
View attachment 89836

cowboybob, that positioning issue happens when you use adblock--there should be an ad up top that drops the button below the search box, but adblock removes the div.

I'm sorry.. this slipped though the cracks and apologize for any inconvenience this had. Thanks KISS for bringing it up again.. I think I got it sorted out. Did you ever get a email confirmation from the website? You weren't set up as a regular user. Checked the box and believe you should be able to start conversations with people now.

It appears to be fixed now, thank you -- I have the "Start a Conversation" links in the profile popups now, and the button on my main Conversations page. I also have the position issue on the Conversations page illustrated by cowboybob in post #8, but since DerStrom8 says it's caused by adblock, that's apparently my problem not yours.

Last edited:
you shouldn't need to use ad blocker on this site as one of the benefits of being a registered user is that there are no ads. We still do use google analytics if you want to block that. etc.

-D

Well, I just tried disabling Adblock and the position issue on my Conversations page of the Search field overlapping the Start a New Conversation button is still there (at the top of the page, but not the bottom). Should I start a new topic for this separate issue?

Screenshot2.png

Nah.. I'll look at it see whats going on

What browser / OS are you using so I can try to match it up.

-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back