Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unable to Perform SSH browsing using Ubuntu for Beaglebone black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshath

Hi, I am newbie to micro controllers. I am not able to install the drivers which is necessary for browsing. Even when I am using the static ip ( 192.168.7.2 ) for it I am not able to get the content in my browser I am getting this error when I try to install mkudevrule.sh

akshath@Ashi:~/Desktop$ chmod +x mkudevrule.sh
akshath@Ashi:~/Desktop$ sh ./mkudevrule.sh
./mkudevrule.sh: 1: ./mkudevrule.sh: cannot create /etc/udev/rules.d/73-beaglebone.rules: Permission denied
akshath@Ashi:~/Desktop$

Can some one please tell me how to access BeagleBone in Ubuntu

You more then likely need to use su sh./mkudevrule.sh
don't look like your root it be like this
Code:
sudo chmod +x mkudevrule.sh
sudo ./mkudevrule.sh
got to be root to use dev
do them both just in case

Last edited:
I have tried what you said the script ran successfully but still I am not able to access the site with the static ip ( 192.168.7.2 ) please help me out with it and when I try to ping the static ip address I am getting host unreachable. Please help me out with it. Thanks and in advance.

Last edited:
May sound obvious but do you have the correct time and date set on the Beaglebone ? If your time and dates are wrong, secure sites and certificates do nightmare things.

If you can't ping a IP address you have the network setup wrong .
Run this and post what you get
Code:
sudo ifconfig eth0
Should get something like this just with different numbers.
Code:
eth0      Link encap 10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:90:B3:42
          inet addr 172.16.1.2 Bcast 172.16.1.255 Mask 255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU 1500  Metric 0
          RX packets 3136 errors 217 dropped 7 overrun 26
          TX packets 1752 errors 25 dropped 0 overrun 0
And picbits is right about time and date.
For you to get here 192.168.7.2
You need to be on 192.168.7.1
and have a IP of 192.168.7.XX
XX being a number that's not a 2 or a one or any that's on that network.

Last edited:
I have typed sudo ifconfig eth1 instead of eth0 because when I connect begalBone via USB it gets connected to ethernet 1

this is what I got in the terminal :

akshath@Ashi:~$ sudo ifconfig eth1
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:59:af:4e:c3:1d
inet addr:172.16.8.97 Bcast:172.16.9.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
inet6 addr: fe80::9259:afff:fe4e:c31d/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:37 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:128 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:7227 (7.2 KB) TX bytes:24445 (24.4 KB)

It's very common in instructions to omit the "sudo". sudo means "superuser do".

==

You router in a home environment is assigned a private internet address group. The Internet can't find it because there are so many devices with the same IP numbers. The public IP address, from **broken link removed** gets assigned to you, temporarily by your ISP. The key here is it's temporary.

Your ISP also supplies two nameserver addresses; primary and backup. These translate names like gmail.com to addresses.

Your router, gets one of these private addresses, like 192.168.1.1; It becomes your gateway and you can point to it if you need a time server.

Your router may have 255.255.255.0 as a network mask, so everything on 192.168.1.x are accessible. .0 and .255 are reserved on this network.

Your router reserves some addresses as DHCP and some addresses as static. DHCP addresses have lease times. I usually use the longest lease possible.

Each IP address has a pool of ports attached to it. Ports below 1000 typically are used for well-known services. http is a service and it uses port 80 as default.

Every device has a MAC address permanently assigned to it at manufacturer. It usually can't be changed, but can in some cases. The MAC address MUST be unique across a routeable segment.

A Cable ISP uses this MAC address of your router to know it's you. If you replace your router, you generally need to cone the new router with the MAC address of your router provided by the cable company.

NAT or (Network Address Translation) does a lot of magic. When the Internet looks in, it can see one of the unique port numbers on only one of your computers on your private network. This is configurable in your router.

It also masquerades, your private IP address into the public IP adresss when reaching the Internet from within your public internet space.

Printers in general should have static IP address. So, should TV tuners, your router etc.
Windows has it's own browser and name server-like services. Some smart switches allow name server functions for TCP/IP.

ping -b 198.162.x.255 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) pings the broadcast address. Most devices should respond, some don't.

arp -a will list the devices and MAC address that responded.

What he's trying to pin is not on the same network. 192.168.7.2 Cant be pinged from 192.168.8.97 ones a local lan and ones on the web.
I bet that's his problem now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back