Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unable to make my cable work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

I'm trying to connect my television to a dish/satellite antennae through a set top box. The cable is half cut, so i have connected the two cables to each other using a connector, and am trying to connect the LNB to the receiver box.

I was able to receive the signal when i had connected just to the first cable, and i'm not receiving the signal when it's connected via the second cable.

I tested using the multimeter for connectivity issues, and it seemed like the cables are fine. I was also able to received the LNB power through first part of the cable. Yet, when i connect all the cables across, i am not able to find whats going wrong.

Done with debugging, not able to understand whats wrong with the cables.

What connector have you used? If they are screw-on or crimp-on F type plugs, have you folded the coax braid or drain wire back over the outside so the connector has a good connection to the screen?

The Coax Brain is not touching the outer part of the F Connector. But, when i connect the multimeter to the cable i am able to receive 10 V DC on multimeter, which should say its fine.

The Coax Brain is not touching the outer part of the F Connector. But, when i connect the multimeter to the cable i am able to receive 10 V DC on multimeter, which should say its fine.
Assuming you mean 'braid' (and not brain), then it must touch the outer part of the F-connector, otherwise it won't work.

Post some pictures of what it looks like - but the problem is pretty obvious, you haven't connected it properly.

BTW, 10V isn't enough.

When you say "The cable is half cut, so i have connected the two cables to each other using a connector," what type of connector did you use to join the two cables ?

Les.

Thanks for the replies. It seems like the plugs at the receiver box end is not proper. I was not able to find the connectivity for outer sheath of the coax.

I was able to pull the part of cut cable to the receiver end, and so is the television able to receive the broadcast. Let me find some time, and i will work on it.

But, right now, it seems like the old connector at the receiver end was faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back