Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Sensor Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to build a device which will use an ultrasonic sensor (polaroid 6500 ranging module). This device will generate a sound which the user hears through an ear-piece when an object comes within range.

Preferably the sound would become more intense as the object comes closer to the user.

Also, I don't have access to a microcrontroller and need to use only analog circuits (no programed chips allowed)

Thanks for the help

It's a school assignment. Post specific questions on the part you're having difficulty with, remember we're not a homework service.

My issue is getting around not being able to use a microcontroller. I tried connecting a the sensors out put to a speaker and I got some static initially and then nothing. Do I need to build a circuit which produces noises, such as a beep, and have it hooked up between the sensor and the speaker, or am I dead in the water without a microcontroller. Also, its not important that the user know the distance between them and the object, just that when the noise gets louder as their getting closer or softer and farther away.

Thanks

A sensor produces no sound and has an output current that is much too low to drive a speaker.
The sensor can vary the frequency or loudness of an oscillator. The oscillator can drive a power amplifier that drives the speaker.
Why do you need a microcontroller?

Why don't you use an ultrasonic ranging module (or make your own) that is much newer than the very old Polaroid one?

So I need to connect use the oscillator connection and increase the current going to the speaker? I just had a Polaroid 6500 Ranging Module lying around and I thought I could use it.

My issue is getting around not being able to use a microcontroller. I tried connecting a the sensors out put to a speaker and I got some static initially and then nothing. Do I need to build a circuit which produces noises, such as a beep, and have it hooked up between the sensor and the speaker, or am I dead in the water without a microcontroller. Also, its not important that the user know the distance between them and the object, just that when the noise gets louder as their getting closer or softer and farther away.

Thanks

OK, first your issue is not being able to use a micro controller, your issue is a need to learn how ultrasonic range finding actually works as if you knew that, you would not just be connecting a rangefinder to a speaker sans any interface.

First try giving this a read and discount the uC and place a focus on the pulse trains and understand what is going on. Just note what the micro controller is actually doing. Then also give this a read as it should help you understand what is actual;ly going on. This is not difficult nor is it easy, it requires some work and learning on your part.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back