Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UL certification for ARM microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiranpatil

Hi,

My customer is asking about if the controller which I have selected is UL certified or not.

I am not sure how I can search if the controller is UL certified or not.

I am planning to use Freescale Kinetic K60 series controller. In datasheet I am not able to find a mention about UL certification.

Does any of controllers have the UL certification?

-KGP

Only an entire device can be UL certified, not specific chips. If you have not paid for UL certification of your device then you can not say that it has been UL certified.

Nothing can change this outside of paying for the UL certification (which you should look into)

Basically what the customer wants is assurances that this device won't injure anyone or anything in very common situations. You may be able to talk them out of requiring a UL certification by assuring them that you've done your own testing (of course you better have done this actual testing) to insure that the device in common environments is not a risk to people or property near it.

Last edited:
As Sceadwian said, UL lists only complete products. There are UL recognized components. But the components that they will recognize are limited to specific, well defined functions such as connectors, fuses, wire, switches and such. Their use makes the final product certification testing simpler, provided their application fits within the accepted limits of the component specification.

Microcontrollers, by their very nature, are not well defined functions. They are entirely dependent on the code burned into them. The most you could expect for UL recognition for a uC, would be that the encapsulation material was nonflammable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back