Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UK Regulation for battery powered electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

glowlamp

Hello,

New to the forum.

I want to build some battery powered LED table lamps. The kind of thing you may have in the centre of a table at a wedding or event etc. Fairly simple stuff, a battery, a switch / resistor and a few leds. Possibly a dimming knob later on.

Are there regulations for safety / RF etc for devices of this type in the UK. I've had a look on the gov.uk website, can only find regulations for mains powered devices or those exceeding 50-70 volts.

Any advice appreciated.

There's always regulations for RF, and licensing. So if you want to use RF the only feasible way (sometimes even if you are a company) is to get something like a HAM radio license or just use a pre-made (i.e. pre-certified) radio module.

Last edited:
Look at CE marking - this standard covers most of what you need to look out for when designing / selling your own products in the UK.

Welcome to ETO!
There will be non-electrical regs to consider, regarding flammability, toxicity and other hazards, no doubt.

Thanks again for the replies.

The lamps I am making are from hardwood / glass and a thin plywood or possibly pvc base. So they shouldn't present any fire hazards.

When you say simple, are there any circuits that would be considered non simple. For example PWM chips or 1.5 to 3.3v step up boards ?

Thanks.

I would imagine there's little concern over battery powered items, and small home made items are pretty well exempt anyway.

If you have some mad desire to get official approval, expect to spend 10's of thousands of pounds, and many months, doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back