Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uh oh.. what do I do..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim_l_012

Hi All,

As some of you may know, I am into making things for my car.
I thought I'd be smart, and have a flashing LED, so it looks like I have a car alarm. Now, I ran a wire from the car battery, to my central locking. I split this wire, so that I could get a direct 12v from the battery, even with the ignition off.

Now that worked ok for a while, until I needed to turn the light off, so I put in a switch. This also worked for a while, until I thought about controlling the LED from the ignition.

I went out and got a relay from the electronics store, 5 pins, which was supposed to turn off the circuit when current passed into the coil.

This is the relay I used:
**broken link removed**

Now, I had the positive wire coming from radio power wire, into pin 85. Pin 86 went straight to ground. The wire from the battery went into pin 30.
I connected the LED negative to the car ground, and put the positive onto pin 87.

I left 87a disconnected.

With the car off, the LED was fine.. at this stage I was happy.. I then clicked over the ignition.. the LED went off, the radio came on, I was very happy. My friend then said to me, Tim, there is smoke coming from your car.. I thought he was joking so I laughed a bit, then my other friend said very seriously, TIM THERE IS SMOKE COMING FROM YOUR CAR.

I got soo worried, and the wire coming from the battery had melted. The wire inside was just particles of metal, and I have no idea why..

If Anyone knows how to fix this, please drop me a reply, asap.

Thanks in advance, :)

Tim.

Attachments

• relay_circuit.JPG
    relay_circuit.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 473
you can buy very cheap flashing LED's connected to a simple battery,then you will not need to tamper with your car electronics, which sounds likely to go wrong from the start.
just an easy suggestion... :)

The relay that you used is a SPDT type of automotive relay. I am curious about a few things:
  • 1. how it was working as described if you left terminal 87a open -- 87a is the NC terminal, meaning that the circuit is complete through terminals 30-87a when the relay is de-energized, and through terminals 30-87 when power is applied to the coil;

2. what you used for LED current limiting -- you don't indicate that anything was used;

3. how you achieved the "flashing" of the LED -- again, you don't say how this was done;

4. why there was (apparently) no overload protection (read: FUSE) on the battery feed to terminal 30;

5. and finally, was the relay really wired as described?

The fact that a wire burned indicates that excessive current was present in that wire. This could be as a result of an improper circuit design, but it could also result from a failed component or an inadvertant shot to ground.

From what information I could find, the relay appears to be a 12V 30A SPDT type, so load current should not be a problem with this circuit if properly designed and constructed.

Hmm I probably should have mentioned the LED.. It's a 3v-15v Flashing LED, from Dick Smith Electronics. Cost me about 3 times as much as a normal LED, but has its own flashing circuit.

My friend suggested its because when the circuit was switched, that power was going straight to ground, basically causing a short circuit.

What would I have to put in my circuit to stop it doing this again. Thanks in advance, :)

Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back