Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ublox NEO 6 GPS module help (NMEA Protocol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

siyom

Does anyone have any experience with this module?
I'm kinda struggling to figure out how it works.I'm supposed to send data to it and then receive something back,I've read the data sheets and all and am well familiar with the different messages the modules sends..i.e. GPSGLL,22,30,393,83,03,A*F sort of messaging but what I don't understand is what message do I send to it in order to receive this data and also does this come in streams?like every second you get a different message?cause from what I've read there are about 11 different message formats i.e. ZDA,GLL,GSA etc and am still struggling to figure out what exactly each does althou i do have a small picture.

The configuration part has been sorted,I just don't know what to send in order to recieve and what these messages mean.
any help?

I know nothing about your specific module, but I have used others. Most of them send RS232 (TTL level, inverted) NEMA formatted serial data. The data format is well documented. There are many message types. By default, the GPS module sends a set of NEMA data. If you want it to send something else, you have to talk to it first. The method of "talking to it" can be in a variety of formats and methods. You must find a data sheet for your specific module.

I know nothing about your specific module, but I have used others. Most of them send RS232 (TTL level, inverted) NEMA formatted serial data. The data format is well documented. There are many message types. By default, the GPS module sends a set of NEMA data. If you want it to send something else, you have to talk to it first. The method of "talking to it" can be in a variety of formats and methods. You must find a data sheet for your specific module.

Hi Siyom,

Are you getting anywhere with your problem? I have a Ublox LEA-6H and also looking for information on how NMEA signals can be received and analysed.

Cheers, Camerart.

Although this is for Trimble the studio app has worked (for me) with other modules and will give you an idea of what needs to be sent where.

**broken link removed**

Although this is for Trimble the studio app has worked (for me) with other modules and will give you an idea of what needs to be sent where.

**broken link removed**
Hi SwingeyP,

Thanks for your reply,

What I'm actually after is a way of programming a PIC operated tracker, that uses live data coming from a satellite, or ISS, or Helicopter, to aim the antenna at it. I've got a lot to learn!

I'm away for a month, but in the mean time I´ll look at the links you sent, and get back to you when I get back.

Camerart.

**broken link removed**

Hi SwingeyP,

Had a good break, and met some interesting people. Now I'm back and keen to get on with the Tracker project.

Regarding the Tracker, I hope to build. I hope to read NMEA data from any source i,e, satellite, ship or multi copter. It is mainlky for aiming the antenna for better signal, but first the antenna must be aimed manually, by guessing etc, then the system should take over. A radio should read the NMEA data and a PIC then decodes and calculates the location from the data source and the person, then aim it's antenna.

If you have any more clues to help me, please let me know. Also I have contacted Eric Gibbs, with a similar message.

Cheers, Camerart.

Hello.

Check this link and these guys out. This is by far the best i've seen. I'm not sure how much they will share with you but asking never hurt anyone.

https://www.cusf.co.uk/autorotator/

Cheers - Paul
Thanks Paul,

If I've understood correctly!!! this is like many online trackers (ISS for example), in that the link points to a system that uses predictions to aim the aerial.

I don't want to use a computer simulation, just receive the NMEA 'sentence' which is used in a calculation to show where it is.

Also if I've understood correctly, the Ublox GPS sends NMEA signals. Either the same or similar, to aircraft, ships, satellites etc. I'm just beginning with this, and I think they send a 'sentence'. An example 'sentence' . $GPGLL,2222.22,N,1111.11,W,222222,A,*37 All NMEA sentences start with $GP the next three digits GLL refer to LAT/LON data they also include time. so $GPSGLL,2222.22,N,1111.11,W,222222,A,*37 would be Geographic position, latitude and longitude. [Latitude 22deg. 22.22mins. North Longitude 111 deg,11.11min. West Fix taken 22:22:22 UTC then checksum *37 (This might not be accurate, just my interpretation) I think the $ and checksum are for programming once received.

Hope all is clear?

Cheers, Camerart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back