Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART communication for cascading two dsPIC30F30

Status
Not open for further replies.

faysal_002299

Dear all,
I want to cascade two dsPIC30F3011 controllers via UART. I have enabled the UART communication for both the controllers and connected both of them- tx of one to rx of another and vice versa. But when I am sending data from one to another, nothing happerns. I have no problem with communication with the PC. Should I use any circuitry in this purpose or my directly connecting to one's tx to another's rx is ok. If I need to add some extra circuitry in between them please give me a schematic.

with Thanks

Sorry, I couldn't understand what you are meaning. What is chassis rail?
One thing to add, I am serving the two MCU circuit boards from two seperate dc source that means no common ground for them. Is it alright.

Thanks for your quick reply

If you still have problems with them, try them on the PC again. By not connecting grounds between them it is possible that you blew one or more of the UART pins.

I was working with a co-op at one of my jobs one time. I had a MCU board with an analog input on it. I gave it to the co-op to measure an analog voltage. He came back and told me it didn't work. So I tested it, and sure enough it couldn't read the pin. I recompiled the code for a different pin, and retested it and it worked. Gave it to him, and it came back dead again. He wasn't connecting a ground between them, and luckily it was only taking out the single pin and not the whole chip.

Could you please tell me, if there is anyway to cascade two dsPICs which don't have a common ground vai UART? It's really difficult for me to feed my two different circuit boards from the common source with a common ground.

with thanks

faysal that makes no sense of any kind whatsoever... You're already running two lines for the TX and RX lines? Why can't you run a ground wire with it?

Lets go old school.
**broken link removed**

That's just not funny. I've had many an electronic device use smoke signals to inform me of the error of my ways.:D

Mike.
The trick is to not allow the factory installed smoke to escape, I think it's actually food for the electrons stored inside the chip, without it they croak.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back