Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tyre inflator modification. Currently powered by cigarette lighter, want to add mains power option.

TheJay

lMBG5jI[1].jpg

The yellow and black wires run from the point the cable plugs in to supply power. I'd like to add an DC power jack and figure I just need to mount it to the outside and then use two wires to join up with the points that are soldered on.

How do I safely detect what voltage is required without breaking it? Would it be 12v, can I just get a 12v adapter plug?

How do I check that or do I assume 10A?

Would this do?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26619031...aZIty1hf6TjDrWoTP+8+zpRg==|tkp:Bk9SR7iJ6v_eYw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276394988336?itmmeta=01HVVZTGJ4TYHB80V181Y9SWWK&hash=item405a6cd330:g:~fkAAOSwMy1l~vhY&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAAwB+sSZbNFETETyeFPGqFfyliCtGR2fkUf+RDa6PYjuEsYZf8I1b15oPhkjn1geDg+QbnKPEGzVkRQmzdTOjna1VXniL+hU/gTeGcC/y/PhQ3cy6C06TkEoPsV80RXspdROH4MeMpBp3LnJViKfPW3PQZgInc92P9oogoPatJSnSJsvWWesYi4Lwj6VfMb5cHqMHeqfzyY34w724YSshCdxJyzUjMM4q4Zq2IFGEd47xmSGxgpUnF4aRuMnecnCr76Q==|tkp:Bk9SR7CJ6v_eYw

Is there another way to do this without an adapter like adding components inside the inflator enclosure?

Last edited:
Is there another way to do this without an adapter like adding components inside the inflator enclosure?
That would be difficult unless you can fit the converter inside the inflator, since the components you would need would likely occupy a similar volume..

Just buy the external converter.
The bottom one would likely work.

Does the inflator label say how much current it takes?

How do I check that or do I assume 10A?

Would this do?
Yes
No. Power conversion to match the pump power required takes more space than the pump.
If you just want an AC pump, get an AC air pump.

Compressors for inflating car tyres can take around 5 times the running current as they start up. With a car battery or a linear unregulated power supply that current is less likely to be a problem as the compressors will start in around 200 ms.

However on a switch-mode supply or a regulated supply there is likely to be a current limit. The simple compressors are only single cylinder so the torque varies a lot as they rotate. If they are starting with the air pressure already high, they need a lot of current to start. With a current-limited supply or too much resistance in the wires they may fail to start at all unless the pressure is removed before starting.

I did some work on compressors designed to run from a cigar lighter supply. They took about 12A when running. Starting current was about 70A and 100 milli-Ohms of wiring resistance would make starting difficult.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back