Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Type of pin connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I got a couple of soic test clips from eBay, cheap no-brand ones like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141984932994?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.
One is 8 pin, one is 16 pin.

At the end where you connect your test leads, they have small size square pins - measured at 0.62mm I think (don't have to hand to check) and very close together - I think the same pitch as the ic leads.

I don't want to solder directly on to these if I can avoid it. Does anyone know of a connector that will fit? Parametric searches are just not being helpful here!

Here's one option. The picture is from Elecrow.com, but there are many similar products on eBay. This one is for 0.1" pitch connections; there are also 2mm pitch versions.

Screenshot_20160828-200802.jpg

You can bet your bottom dollar those are for 1mm pins! I have some dupont female connectors now - so they were the first thing I tried. Waaaaay too big!
Also I think I would struggle to find a standard header with the right pin spacing. Where these clips are illustrated with wires connected to them (sold with header plug on the other end) you can see they have heat-shrink on each pin. So they are using either individual small female connectors, or they are soldering them on.

If 0.1" pitch is too big, they are probably 2mm pitch with smaller pins. Elecrow has cables like I pictured above with 2mm DuPont connectors on one end and standard 0.1" pitch DuPont connectors on the other.

I think I'm on to a non-starter here. I just checked the pitch, it's 1.08mm.
Found some scrap headers with small enough female connectors attached to wries, took a few of those out. They'll fit on the pins ok, but won't fit side by side, they have to be staggered up and down on alternate pins.
So I'll try fitting those with heatshrink sleeves and see how they go.
This is for connecting dmm and experimental bits to a chip, so I want connections I can remove!

Mmm, I probably mis-measured. Anyhow, I have a few of those test clips. Was just after something less clumsy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back