Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

I have a pretty new CRT Television, the switch doesnt seem to be working properly. The switch is a push-button switch. Whenever i push the switch(inwards) and hold it, the TV will be ON, else the TV will turn OFF.

I feel the problem is in spring inside the SWITCH.
So how to repair it? What should i buy? How to remove the casing(from the back?)? How much will it cost?

If you are having these questions...

...you should take it to a professional TV repair shop. Your questions indicate that you don't have anywhere near the skills to be messing around with a CRT. I am not saying this to be mean, though I am being blunt. I am saying this because CRTs are not something to mess around with.

Replace the switch. That is the only option. Open the case and find the switch and study/analyze it..:)..so that you can go and get a similar sized switch..or you may desolder it and get a replacement by showing it in a shop.

Inside of a CRT TV is 'danger'~!! -unless otherwise you're a trained technician. Or always wear rubber gloves while doing it!

Inside of a CRT TV is 'danger'~!! -unless otherwise you're a trained technician. Or always wear rubber gloves while doing it!

Dangerous in what sense? I'll have an Insulated stand to sit...
Should i remove the complete switch(is there any other go)? and can i short the two terminals, so that i can still use TV(for a while)?
Will i get the switch in Electronic Shopping Hubs?.. Where i can get Electronics Components...
What would be the cost?

Last edited:
Hi,

Push the switch in with a small dowel and epoxy or hot glue it in place, then use a line cord with a switch at the end to turn the tv on or off.
Might be just good enough to work :)

Dangerous in what sense? I'll have an Insulated stand to sit...
Should i remove the complete switch(is there any other go)? and can i short the two terminals, so that i can still use TV(for a while)?
Will i get the switch in Electronic Shopping Hubs?.. Where i can get Electronics Components...
What would be the cost?
You're not hearing. Even after switched off, a CRT TV picture tube holds a huge charge and the picture tube itself is a huge capacitor that can electrocute you:eek:..also there may be highly rated electrolytic caps that'll be a silent killer!

So the caution is for not touching those weird areas, but you can concentrate on the faulty switch, then either short it or get replaced as I told. Haven't you bought any electronic components from shops?? Fill in your location first.

Just to add to the various replies above, the most important thing that you have determined is that the Mains Switch is indeed faulty. Sounds like it's not latching properly.

Glad you have decided to take the TV to a proper TV repair place to repair. Good. Now a few tips for you to save money:

1. Take the TV in yourself to the repair shop. Ask to speak to the TV Tech in charge personally when the set is being booked in. Show him that that the set only requires a mains ON/OFF switch by demonstrating what you posted above. After all, it's newish and all. Should not be any dry joints yet.

2. If he is honest he will quote you a price for replacing only the switch and not charge you for a thorough service of the set anyway.....

Of course, your warranty on the job will only cover the replaced switch. Anything else is your problem.

Seeing the set is newish you should be good to go for many happy hours/days even years of usage.

We do it like this:

Only broken aerial socket on back of TV: R150.00 to repair. Common here. Nothing else needs to be done to TV.
Only broken aerial socket on back of TV...and then other complications = maximum charge. Customer lied. Customer trying their luck.
We are honest...and so can they be. Tell us "really" what happened. And then we can help.

Only faulty Mains Switch. Proven in front of a Tech when booking in. Tech checks TV and agrees it's only the switch. Minimal charge for job.
Only the Mains Switch is faulty says customer..Tech checks in book in area...dead set...can't check...to workshop...open TV....find spares missing = quote of note to repair a butchers handiwork. Well in excess of the value of the TV....and then normally accepted....and then my problem. Again.

OK. Back on track. Show the Tech the working TV with the (obviously) faulty switch and follow the advise above. Good luck.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back