Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tv remote range

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvarblade

hi i was thinking of connecting an amplifier to my tv remote to increase its range. any idea which type of amplifier to use and any tips? or ideas?

The infrared receiver for a TV's remote already has a very sensitive amplifier. If you amplify it more then the output will be full of noise or saturated by visible light then it won't work.

If you amplify the current for the IR emitter in the remote then the IR LED will burn out.
You could add many more IR LEDs, add a driver circuit for them and add a much bigger battery in the remote for a greater range.

How many LEDs does your remote have?

You could double the number of LEDs by connecting additional LEDs in series (assuming they're connected in parallel) and reducing the series resistor.

my remote has one led its a pihllips tv. i was thinking of using an instrumentation amplifier with an op amp since i am not so good at usual transistor amplifier how do get the right led?

silvarblade said:
i was thinking of using an instrumentation amplifier with an op amp
Why? The IR receiver in the TV already has a very sensitive amplifier. It won't work if you amplify it more.

For more range you need lots of IR LEDs in the remote, not just one. Of course they need a driver circuit and a big battery to power them.

Nigel Goodwin said:
How much range are you looking for?.

I'll ask the question again, what range??:confused:

I have used cheap lenses to increase the range of IR emitters.
Mount it on the remote, it will reduce the beam angle but increase the range.

range i need is about 5 to 7 meters what kind of drive circuit do i need to make is there a schematic?

If your TV is fairly new then its remote should have a range of about 10m.
Mine reflects off things and has a range that is farther.
Yours must have a dead battery.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Like Audioguru says, your remote should work at at least 10m.

So does mine.

Is the plastic IR cover badly scuffed or as suggested depleted batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back