Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tutorials on getting circuit boards made

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuhagen

Thanks to this forum I was able to build a few boards, have them tested, and installed. (and for the most part they are working as designed). A fellow Eng has led me to what all is needed like "Gerber" files, and EDA stuff.
I have gone to PC4u to check things out for getting proto boards. Like what all that is required.
Where I am lacking knowledge is how to get to this point, where I have to use software that makes these "Gerber" files. Or where to go to get the desing on a sheet so it does spit out my layout info. I did download the free one here, but honestly, it is Greek to me. So I need a tutorial somewhere that can walk me thru the whole process from having a design all the way to having them made up (w/o parts). I bet it is here somewhere~! This may require a tutorial on how to use the circuit board layout tools as well.

Stu

Hi stu,

most PCB manufacturers make their own Gerber files. All you need to supply is a board file e.g. created using Eagle.

Depending on the manufacturer's equipment you'd have to turn in Gerber, extended Gerber and many different other Gerber format files.

Boncuk

You might try a pcb manufacturer such as ExpressPCB **broken link removed** or PCB123 **broken link removed**. They both provide free schematic and layout software which automatically prepares a file for fabrication by their fab plant so you don't have to deal with Gerber files. And the cost of the boards is quite reasonable. PCB123 even has an autorouter for the board layout which greatly speeds the process of adding the traces.

You might try a pcb manufacturer such as ExpressPCB **broken link removed** or PCB123 **broken link removed**. They both provide free schematic and layout software which automatically prepares a file for fabrication by their fab plant so you don't have to deal with Gerber files. And the cost of the boards is quite reasonable. PCB123 even has an autorouter for the board layout which greatly speeds the process of adding the traces.

I do have the PCB123 downloaded on my PC. Of which I have not spent any time working it. So This program, once I learn it, will do everything? That's kind of all I really need to know. If this program will get me to where I want to go, I better start the "turorial" in the program ha..ha...

Stu

I've used PCB123 to generate schematics, parts lists, and create new part types. I also tried a layout using the autorouter, which seems to work well, but I haven't actually purchased a board yet.

I believe the program is reasonably easy to use compared to others on the market, although it still takes a fair amount of study to understand how it works. But that's true of any schematic and layout software. The PCB123 tutorials look to be well done and should teach you all you need to know, if you take the time to go through them. If you try to short-circuit the learning process, you'll likely end up confused and frustrated.

Many people use Eagle. I've used it some and it's a good program. It's likely capable of making more complex boards (such as an arbitrary shape) than a program such as PCB123. But added ability in a program also generally makes it more complex and difficult to learn. And not having to deal with Gerber files is a definite plus for me.

I downloaded ExpressPCB last night, and it appears to be a bit more user freindly. I also noticed that the schematic layout they use is very similar to ones I see here on the forums when people post schematics. I will play around with both of these over the weekend. Seems the most difficulty I am having is inserting components, and connecting the lines. But I am sure I will figure this all out~! Just takes time. The PCB123 does have a vast amount of tutorials on there sites.

Stu

Learn to use Eagle. PCB manufacturers will take the Eagle file and extract the gerbers from it. And the gerbers produced by Eagle are the most accurate.

Learn to use Eagle. PCB manufacturers will take the Eagle file and extract the gerbers from it. And the gerbers produced by Eagle are the most accurate.

agreed :)

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back