Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tube Oscilloscopes VS a Solid State Oscilloscopes VS a Storage O-Scope, for event triggering

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are artifacts when using digital scopes and even analog scopes. In analog scopes there could be a difference in chopped mode and the other mode.
Chopped measures channel 1 for a bit and then switches to 2. In the other mode, a full sweep is made for channel 1 and then another for channel 2.

You have to realize what those artifacts are and how the scope can compensate, One of those artifacts is sampling rate and A/D type and resolution.

There are also measuring errors, just because how you are probing.

All I can say is, use the right or least expensive tool for the job especially if the right tool is available.

There was a really simple CAT 5 cable tester on the market which I can't find anymore. In any event, it was able to read green for a straight thru cable and red for a crossed cable, but really couldn't tell you other wiring errors, but it is GREAT for finding intermittent cables. Wiggle the cable when plugged into the tester and the light goes out. it's not a wire mapper and it's not a TDR. It was sort of a continuity and/or is it a cross/straight thru cable.
What about an ohmmeter?

My analog 'scope is 50 years old. I made it as a kit and it has vacuum tubes (valves). I added zener diodes to its power supply and made a very linear sweep oscillator for it.

So a tube O-scope doesn't have a linear sweep oscillator? what does it have than?

When I'm using a digital O scope, I can't tell if the glitches are coming from the circuit board or from the digital O scopes A/D converters or the digital O scope itself causing the glitches

Isn't this true?
No. What makes you think a digital scope produces glitches on it's own? Generally the only artifact of digital scopes is aliasing of a high frequency signal, causing it to appear as a lower frequency signal if the sample rate is too slow. But no glitches for a scope from a reputable manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back