Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ttl and cmos families

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovabiot

Why when the signal is from -5 to +5 volt at the input if the gate is TTL i have a signal from 0 to 5volt ?
And why if it is CMOS the signal is also from -5v. to +5volt??
Thanks

Attachments

• image1.gif
    image1.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 441
TTL gates are meant to work of a single power supply, thus they can not handle negative voltages...

Some of the 40-series cmos gates can work on a split power supply, allowing them to use negative voltages.

i am not referring to the output signal. My problem is, in the picture, if I put a 'signal' before the resistence from -5 to +5, when i have a TTL gate, it makes that this signal at the 'input' hasen't negative component

jovabiot said:
i am not referring to the output signal. My problem is, in the picture, if I put a 'signal' before the resistence from -5 to +5, when i have a TTL gate, it makes that this signal at the 'input' hasen't negative component

TTL is a logic system, it works from 0V (OFF or LOW) to 5V (ON or HIGH), if you fed it a non-TTL signal you are likely to get unpredicable results, and you can't get anything out of it except a TTL signal.

What are you trying to do anyway, it sounds rather bizarre?.

jovabiot said:

it probabely has internal clamping diodes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back