Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to find out a formula to make this work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giligan

Hi all! first of all let me introduce my self, My name is Gil I am from Midland Tx, I am in the sign business, I love electronics I wish I took some classes of basic electronics in school when I was younger, but life had something different for me.

I am here for some help, I have been trying to figure out the formula to make a GM ls3 drive by wire throttle body work on a Nissan Titan, both throttle bodies have same amount of wires they just have different voltages on the way they open/close the servo that controls the butterfly that opens/closes throttle. This has been done before but the information on how to do this is not available, there was a "translator box" that was done.
I just came here for advice/help, I did a search for electronics forums on google and this looks like a big community.
I'm probably looking like a total idiot in here, lol!
anyways if this questions are not acceptable here I do apologies.
thanks in advance

welcome to ETO, Gil

Perhaps if you have one so called "translator box", check whether it is open or sealed with epoxy. if open, perhaps you can get the item duplicated with help from any local member of this site, or any local electronics repairer acquainted.
if sealed, at least the make and model number would help locate one from spares shops in your locality.

All the best

Last edited:
You may find this read somewhat useful as to the setup and how they are pulsed. It would be nice if you had working models to actually measure (scope and voltage) the signals.

Ron

Do you have an oscilloscope? Can you see what the signals for the GM look like and similarly for the Nissan? The difference may be more than just voltages.

Obviously, neither manufacturer will be happy with someone doing this project. And, based on all the uproar about sticking throttles, there may even be laws that forbid it. That may be why things have disappeared from the Internet.

John

Edit: I just saw Ron's post. Good morning. Nice link, but it would be nice to see something specific for the two brands. I am thinking of signals that may be inverted or that may drive CW vs. CCW. Such differences can be easily handled, but you have to know about them.

Last edited:
Morning John, I have noticed you seem to always be up and about early too. :) Cold out there this morning.

I did find some info on GM throttle bodies but it was sketchy at best, I agree as to the legality also. The thought of going wide open throttle is a little spooky.

Ron

thanks for the fast response, this is for use exclusive for offroad application, I am trying to get a hold of a friend that has one, someone else build it for him in 2007, I do not have a oscilloscope, I seen some expensive ones on ebay, Is there a certain chepo that will work for this? (It will only be used for this so an inexpensive one will be ok)

Why are you trying to refit a different brand of throttle body to a Nissan engine?

What gain do you get?

Why are you trying to refit a different brand of throttle body to a Nissan engine?

What gain do you get?

the nissan throttle body has a 74mm opening and the ls3 gm throttle body has a 90mm opening, gains are 10 to 15 hp once it's retuned for more fuel to compensate for the extra air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back